Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Zanemane
Level 7

Disconnect Option Roku From Internet

Jump to solution

@RokuDanny-R 

I don't have access to cable or fiberoptic internet where I live so I have to do everything through hotspots. They have very low bandwidth so I only want a single device running on the hotspots at a time. I can't limit the number of connections on the hotspot so any device that has signed in previously will try to automatically connect as it should for convenience sake. 

Here's an example. I want to watch YouTube on my Roku TV. I turn the hotspot on and 4 devices connect. I realize I left the laptop on in sleep mode the last time I used it, so I open it, hit the power button, and it disconnects and turns off. Still ready to reconnect immediately the next time I use it.

3 devices still connected. I hit a button on my phone and my phone disconnects from wifi. Still has all the passwords saved, just need to hit a button to turn it back on if I want.

2 devices still connected. I go to my PlayStation settings and uncheck the box that says "connect to the internet". All my sign in information is still there and ready for quick and easy use later when I recheck the box labeled "connect to the internet".

Now, with only 1 device connected, I can watch YouTube smoothly on my Roku tv without my devices competing for bandwidth.

But when I want to use any other devices and need to disconnect my tv from the internet your suggestions to @Kyree93  were to forget the network settings so I would have to type in all my passwords again (I use 2 different hotspots), or unplug the tv, which isn't an option when I'm trying to use the tv.

So my main question is this, how hard would it be for you guys to add a box in the settings menu that says "connect to the internet" enabled or disabled, checked or unchecked?

That would really simplify my life anyway. Thanks a lot guys!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Disconnect Option Roku From Internet

Jump to solution

@Zanemane 

Thanks for the inquiry.

Please be aware that Roku devices are designed and meant to be connected to a network at all times. This allows the device to constantly check and install OS and channel updates without the disruption of use.

Our simple recommendation to you would be to simply disconnect the Roku device (or plug it into a power switch) when not in use to avoid unwanted internet connection.

For more information, visit our Support page here: Can I power my Roku® streaming player on or off?

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1\
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Disconnect Option Roku From Internet

Jump to solution

@Zanemane 

Thanks for the inquiry.

Please be aware that Roku devices are designed and meant to be connected to a network at all times. This allows the device to constantly check and install OS and channel updates without the disruption of use.

Our simple recommendation to you would be to simply disconnect the Roku device (or plug it into a power switch) when not in use to avoid unwanted internet connection.

For more information, visit our Support page here: Can I power my Roku® streaming player on or off?

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos