Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mydiane
Level 8

Re: Disable WiFi

Excellent post, walt3k. I am one of those who are very sensitive to radio waves and we no longer use roku, even with the wifi turned off it and hooking if off with an ethernet cable, it emitted frequencies. Our entire internet uses only ethernet cables, no more wifi at all in our home. That helps. Smiley Happy 
walt3k
Level 7

mydiane, one additional thing you could try is putting the Roku in a faraday cage like they sell at lessEMF called the SignalTamer.  I don't have this product but have tested other copper mesh shields and they do work according to my meters.  Just a thought.  You can find solutions like this all over now (Amazon,etc)...maybe I will get one too  Smiley Happy  http://www.lessemf.com/computer.html
mydiane
Level 8

Thank you for your reply. I already have one of those and it does nothing. I have also wrapped my roku in copper mesh, copper filled cloth, and aluminum. It is so discouraging and we no longer use roku. If we stream, we stream directly from our computer that is hooked up to the tv. 
MartyPA
Level 8

You're wrong about that.

Get a RF meter and see what it picks up in your home, if it's a single home, if you don't have any wifi yourself.

MartyPA
Level 8

@mydiane, that's what we do also.  Our laptop is ethernet wired and we run an hdmi cord from there to the TV.  Works beautifully and we tossed our Roku.  We also disabled the wifi module inside TV because that emits even if the TV is wired and even if it's turned off.  The only thing that stops it is disconnecting the power.  No more RF here.

MartyPA
Level 8

@dfgsrzwer, you're wrong in assuming they have a router.

You can power up a roku or a smart TV on a deserted island where there is no wifi and no router, and the roku will still emit RF.  The only way to stop it is to unplug from the electrical power.

mydiane
Level 8

Exactly, MartyPA. We can't and don't use Roku or any streaming device. Once in a great while I will need to turn on the wifi for a couple of minutes and find that I immediately experience panic. The anxiety is intense and unbearable. Without RF its so peaceful. 

0 Kudos
mydiane
Level 8

We do have a RF meter. It does pick up some RF but our neighbors 1/4 mile away have a strong wifi system and it picks that up. Smiley Sad 

0 Kudos
MartyPA
Level 8

I'd think that you're picking up from cell phone towers rather than that neighbors wifi?

0 Kudos
fred04
Level 7

Thanks for the posts. I am returning my ROKU.  

0 Kudos