Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hello2U
Level 8

Re: Disable WiFi

Googling IR on chrome I found one on Walmart site and Amazon. I am in the USA. Are you in the USA?

0 Kudos
ADR1979
Level 8

Yep, in the USA. Are you talking about the universal IR replacement (SofaBaton brand)? And this is what I get on Walmart.com when I filter on "IR". I'm fine with either, I just want to make sure whatever one I choose is only IR (i.e. no RF) and it's hard to tell with some of these because the descriptions are so convoluted. Thanks!

https://www.walmart.com/c/kp/roku-remotes?cat_id=0&facet=wireless_technology%3AInfrared&ps=40&query=...

0 Kudos
Hello2U
Level 8

That is not the one. Google infrared remote for Roku. Looks like the remote that comes with Roku but does not have a power button. 

0 Kudos
ADR1979
Level 8

Thanks! Really appreciate your help.

0 Kudos
MartyPA
Level 9

Do you another Roku in the house?
An IR remote won't have a voice control on it.  Also, if you put your hand in front of a remote and it doesn't work, it's an IR remote, an RF will still work, they work without needing to be pointed at the Roku.
I bought my IR remote directly through Roku.
0 Kudos
ADR1979
Level 8

Hi, We don't have another. This will be our first. We didn't realize they had wired ethernet versions so we never bought one. Now we want to watch some things online that won't be available through a regular PC/Laptop so Roku is our best option. But we also want to avoid as much RF as possible. I bought the ultra and I bought the remote from Walmart. Hopefully all will work as advertised Smiley Happy

Thanks everyone for all the info here...it was just what we were looking for!

Ultimation
Level 7

I found the info here useful as well, even if the models mentioned are outdated now. I think the Roku Ultra is currently the best option (also the LT appears to have a wired connection) for those who want to go completely wired.

Without getting into any debate, I wanted to sum up the reasons someone might want to use a purely wired option, and disable wireless:

• Reduce RF/EMF exposure levels (some want to reduce even if they can't eliminate)
  • Security reasons - you might not think it matters but wait until your home network gets hijacked or compromised
  • Reliability - even with all the fancy 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac az and whatever else they come up with, a wired connection is STILL the most reliable, especially for high speed

As for the RF signal exposure, also consider the placement of all your equipment. Distance is a key factor, meaning put distance between yourself and any wireless transmitter, but even with that I learned from measuring that the signal levels can be much higher you might assume.

0 Kudos
mwyson
Level 8

I believe the Roku uses wifi to run the remote.

0 Kudos
MartyPA
Level 9

No, it doesn't use wifi.

There's 2 different types of remote, RF (radio frequency) and IR (infrared).  Both work without the wifi being turned on.

The IR remote is the one that must be pointed directly at the roku.  RF can be aimed anywhere and even work when the roku is in a cabinet and sometimes from a different room, but they do emit pulses.  The remote is continuously sending out pulses looking to connect with the roku unless the batteries are taken out.  The remotes with voice control are all RF, and so are the ones that come with Roku Sticks.

An IR remote will not work with Roku sticks.

I have 3 roku ultras, I use them wired, and bought IR remotes to use with all of them and they work without the wifi turned on..

0 Kudos