Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: Disable WiFi

Question:
Is there any Roku streaming device I can purchase that utilizes Ethernet and HDMI in which I can disable all WiFi (EMF) emissions?

Why might a potential customer want to purchase such a device?
I have an autistic child that goes crazy around any EMF devices. We have our entire house cat 6 wired including Ethernet to lightning for iPhone/iPad, no microwave ovens, no WiFi cell data, etc, etc.

Unfortunately, I cannot get a straight answer from Roku customer support.
Highlighted
Level 11

"simplesolution" wrote:
Question:
Is there any Roku streaming device I can purchase that utilizes Ethernet and HDMI in which I can disable all WiFi (EMF) emissions?

Why might a potential customer want to purchase such a device?
I have an autistic child that goes crazy around any EMF devices. We have our entire house cat 6 wired including Ethernet to lightning for iPhone/iPad, no microwave ovens, no WiFi cell data, etc, etc.

Unfortunately, I cannot get a straight answer from Roku customer support.

The Ultra supports an Ethernet port, but the remote is WiFi Direct. Yes, you can use an IR remote instead, but the Ultra is still transmitting the WiFi signal all the time. No turning it off.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
Highlighted
Level 8

I am having the same problem. We have a roku 3 streaming device and hooked it up yesterday to use with an ethernet cable. But when we turned it on, my Acousticom 2 meter went up to the highest reading possible and was screeching away. I didn't even have wifi turned on. I am sensitive to these frequencies and felt incredible anxiety, couldn't breathe, and felt like I was being punched in the gut. We had to disconnect everything. It looks like we will be unable to switch to roku and leave Directv if the frequencies coming off of the device using an ethernet cable are so high and dangerous. I wish you the best! 
Highlighted
Level 12

Return the device, they cannot be turned off.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Thanks, twiceover.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I've disabled WIFI on my roku 3 by switching to a infrared remote and turning off direct connect in advanced system settings...  problem is that with the latest version of the operating system software the direct connect turns on again each time the machine reboots (powers off/on)...

How can I disable the wifi card on the motherboard to get the wifi to be off permanently?  I already removed two antennaes and it still works... it's insecure to have wifi on such an insecure device and I don't want wifi at all.

I can soldier and do basic electronics work.  The wifi card seems kind of complex so I wonder if I can just take a small drill to one of the circuits under the wifi card or something simple that wont break the whole machine but will just break the wifi card?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

"gethelp" wrote:
How can I disable the wifi card on the motherboard to get the wifi to be off permanently?  I already removed two antennaes and it still works... it's insecure to have wifi on such an insecure device and I don't want wifi at all.

http://www.mycablealternatives.com/2015/06/roku-3-4200x-teardown/

Next is the wireless chipset but I do not know if it will work after that... your mileage will vary...
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 11

"gethelp" wrote:

is it insecure, though? Has anyone ever successfully hacked a Roku via either the standard wifi or the wifi direct of the remote ? To what end could they do it? What information would it have stored on-board?
0 Kudos
Level 21

I can't think of any security reason to disable the WiFi radio on a Roku. About the worst someone could do is send random remote signals to mess with your mind. They might be able to listen to the audio being sent to a remote that supports wireless listening, but that would seem rather boring.
The only other reason I can think of is to reduce the RF being broadcast in their home. Considering there are so many other wireless sources, my personal opinion is it's not worth the effort. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

First of all, those of you who don't experience EMF illness/reactions have no clue what you are taking about. The energy produced by the Roku is intense and significantly more than a neighbor's wifi.
Hopefully you will never have the horror of experiencing what EMF illness feels like.  Try to have a little empathy for people suffering in ways you don't or don't understand.

Secondly you can seriously diminish the radiation emitted by the Roku by getting to the hidden Wifi screen.  You press the following magic key pattern to get to it:

Press these 10 buttons quickly: HOME-HOME-HOME-HOME-HOME-FFWD-PLAY-REWIND-PLAY-FFWD
Then select Wireless Secret Menu
You can turn lots of stuff off here.  My meter and my reactions improved the most by going to Wireless Resets and selecting P2P Down.   There are other settings I turned off as well.