Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2smart
Level 7

Re: Hide Direct Roku Networks

Jump to solution

Understand that remotes for Roku stick connect to Roku through WIFI  Direct network. I  would like to hide those networks on my Android s7 (soon s10). Appreciate instructions.

0 Kudos
Scotdave69
Level 7

Re: Direct Roku wifi password

Jump to solution

0 Kudos
Joelroksu
Level 7

Jump to solution

my phones connected to Verizon wireless I should run out for the rest of my phone right do I have to plug the stick into my phone

0 Kudos
Dash2Del
Level 8

Jump to solution
Joelrosku

my phones connected to Verizon wireless I should run out for the rest of my phone right do I have to plug the stick into my phone.

No, never do that. Your phone only gets use as a Wi-Fi text editor, during the connection process.

Plug your stick into the TV like you normally do. 
if your Hotel Wi-Fi or Guest Wi-Fi allows it you will get password on the TV screen when you try to connect your ROKU stick to one of those types of Wi-Fi’s.

With the password in hand you connect your phone to a Wi-Fi but not the Hotels or Guest, but to one being transmitted by your ROKU. While this feature is turned on by default, but it can be turned off in the “Advanced Setup” area on your ROKU called “Direct Connect”.

I have actually found more than one ROKU Wi-Fi available and had to plug and unplug my ROKU until I could tell which one is mine. 

Once you get connect to your ROKU you get prompted for a password. It the one you see on the TV screen. Once you get past the login you will need to open a browser on your phone you will then get prompted for the usual Hotel information that received from the desk clerk when you checked in. Once that is done, you should see the ROKU start to populate the Icons on the screen. If you do you can change your phone to the Hotel or Guest Wi-Fi like normal. 
P.S. The Hotels I stay in made me reconnect everyday. I don’t think Guest Wi-Fi’s will make you do that. 

I hope that gives the answers you were looking for. So, if you want the ROKU Wi-Fi hidden you shouldn’t be worried about security at home because at home you don’t cause the password to be generated. They password is only generated when you are connected to a Hotel or Guest Wi-Fi and they expire after a few minutes. Even brute force cyber attacks can’t hack it.

0 Kudos
Bmcalister53
Level 7

Jump to solution

I lost my Roku remote, and I now have new WiFi. And trying to use my Roku again. I’m trying to use the roku remote app but I first need my “direct roku” password that I forgot!! How can I find or reset that password? I can do that on the device because I need the password to even be able to connect to the device. Frustrating 

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Forget the path you're trying to go down.  Either make your new Wi-Fi match your old Wi-Fi or get a remote.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Lorali418
Level 7

Jump to solution

0 Kudos
Krystalodom
Level 7

Jump to solution

0 Kudos