Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Direct Roku wifi password

Jump to solution

No. Not helpful. I think it would be most helpful is if you guys designed a quality piece of hardware instead of a piece of **bleep** that I paid 100 bucks for

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I think the response given kind a blows chunks. The truth is that it is only meant to be use when connecting some place other than at home. Like in a hotel, years ago I tried and failed to connect my ROKU in a hotel. My cell phone connected just fine. The reason the ROKU failed is there was no Keypad in which to enter the hotels access information. Now with this new option your cell phone or almost any device with a WiFi receiver can serve as the missing Keypad to enter the hotel access information. Also you have to enable "Direct Connect" in your ROKU setup found in "Advanced Settings". So basically this function only allows a WiFi enabled device to web browse through the Roku if it isn't at home. But , once the connection is made you can also watch your ROKU through the hotels HDMI ported TV. There are other things I am sure, but this is its primary function.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I think the response given kind a blows chunks. The truth is that it is only meant to be use when connecting some place other than at home. Like in a hotel, years ago I tried and failed to connect my ROKU in a hotel. My cell phone connected just fine. The reason the ROKU failed is there was no Keypad in which to enter the hotels access information. Now with this new option your cell phone or almost any device with a WiFi receiver can serve as the missing Keypad to enter the hotel access information. Also you have to enable "Direct Connect" in your ROKU setup found in "Advanced Settings". So basically this function only allows a WiFi enabled device to web browse through the Roku if it isn't at home. But , once the connection is made you can also watch your ROKU through the hotels HDMI ported TV. There are other things I am sure, but this is its primary function.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

Jump to solution

@Nibbles17 wrote:

Forgot password. Help

reconnect to your wireless network and look on your wireless modem for the password. If you forgot your password for your device, go to the accounts page and forgot password and then Roku will send you an email to reset your password. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Help I'm at a motel and I can't get it connected

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

A picture is worth a thousand words. I suggest you watch Roku's video on their support page 

https://support.roku.com/category/200889378

Look for "Hotel and Dorm Connect"

What not in the video is for it to work your Roku device has to be activated and the in the Advanced Settings the option for "Direct Connect" must be "Enabled".

1. connect Roku to motel TV

2. with Roku Remote select motel Wi-Fi or plug in to ethernet port.

3. Action 2 will result in Prompt showing a password on the motel TV screen.

4. At this point the Roku is now acting like a Router and is transmitting its Wi-Fi Name for all to see.

I suggest you use a cell phone, but any device that can connect to a Wi-Fi will do. You open the Wi-Fi app and scroll until you find a Wi-Fi name that starts with "Direct" the rest on the name I believe is your Roku serial number. Select it for Wi-Fi connection.

5. Now transcribe the Password on your Motel TV screen into your cell phone.

6. open a browser and complete answer the same prompts that you would get if you connecting to the motel Wi-Fi.

7. At this point the Roku should be working, remember motel connection reset everyday so you will have to do it all over again tomorrow.

Good Luck

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Thanks. one more question i have all the soundbar speakers and sub. plus i have roku ultra do i still need my satalight pov ?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

You do know this Wi-Fi Direct only works when you are in a hotel or signing in through the “Guest” connections of someones Wi-Fi and not you own Wi-Fi.

It is my understanding that sound bar has a ROKU built-in, but the ultra ROKU would make a excellent traveling companion. I don’t understand what is meant by “POV”, but I think it is Internet source. MmmThe only reason to keep the satellite internet receiver is if you don’t have “Guest” Wi-Fi privileges where you are staying.(Like at home) The good news is Elon Musk, Apple, and Amazon are very close to introducing their Low Earth Orbit satellites. They expect the cost to be between $5 and $10 dollars a month. The receiver is the size of a laptop power supply. It will have better latency than Fiber Optic Cable, because of how close they are to the surface. I think it will be a real game changer. I would get one or two and leave them in my cars. Elon Musk (the founder of Tesla automobiles) said they will not work very well in big cities like Los Angles, because of their population numbers, they should work fantastic in rural anywhere on the plant.

I hope this straightened out any confusion you were experiencing. I read some the responses you got and clearly they did not understand your original question.

0 Kudos
Level 7

Jump to solution

@JP1940 wrote:

I forgot my password

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

Jump to solution

@Dash2Del wrote:

You can go to your phone and download the Roku remote app. That way you can have a Roku remote on the road and you could enter the info for the hotel's connection there. But even with the HDMi connection to the hotel's TV, you still need to connect to the hotel's WIFi connection.  And to do that, you need the hotel's access information. 

0 Kudos