Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
scuffers1
Channel Surfer

Differences between streaming stick WIFI (WR001 vs. WR002)

OK, I have 3 different streaming sticks, all 4K.

3820X

3820EU

3010EU

Interestingly, the first one came with a WR002 Wifi lead vs. the other two that have WR001's.

Did not think much about it till I tried to connect them all to 5G wifi, specifically on a channel that was not the default of 36, the two WR001's would not even see the Wifi, change the AP to chan 36 and they can, however, the WR002 can.

Once I figured that out, I then notice that the way they connect is different, the WR001's are limited to 20Mhz channel bandwidth, the WR002 uses 80.

(see attached pictures).

Is this how they are supposed to be? the WR002 is noticeably faster in use, never seems to buffer (using PLEX to a local server), the other two are more hesitant.

In an ideal world, I would like to swap them out, (like to get them all onto a higher channel 5G separate from other Wifi traffic) but there seems no rime or reason which one you get with a 4K stick and I have not seen them available as an accessory?

Anybody else notice any of this and have a comment?

Thanks!

WR001WR001WR002WR002

0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Differences between streaming stick WIFI (WR001 vs. WR002)

@scuffers1 

Something is a little of out sorts here.

I think your "3010" may be a 3810 model.

Roku 3810/3811 models use the WR001 power cable. (https://www.roku.com/products/accessories/usb-power-cable-with-long-range-wifi-receiver)

Roku 3820/3821 models use the WR002 power cable. (no seperate purchase available yet through Roku).

You can find which model your Roku device is from Settings/Systems/About.

The above being said, you should have two (2) WR002 cables for your 3820 devices, and one (1) WR001 cable for your 3810 device.  If not, this could be part of the issue.

----

The 3820 supports routers with MIMO technology which can increase network bandwidth/speeds and range.  (which is what you are seeing with your screenshots).

Seems like you have your router configured to use "Automatic" settings which is probably why you are seeing different conditions/results.

You can try manually assigning some settings in the router and see if you can get more consistency.

Roku can use 5ghz wireless channels 36-48 (low band), and 149-165 (high band).  Roku can not use or see DFS channels (52-140) on 5ghz band.

You can certainly try increasing the bandwidth from 20mz to 40mz, or 80mz, but by increasing bandwidth (channel bonding), you decrease the number of available wireless channels to choose from.  Could be why only channel 36 is showing as available to you.

The 3820 models should still perform better (at least spec-wise) than the 3810 regarding your server because of how the router is handling the streams due to its MU-MIMO technology. 

-----

Try setting your bandwidth/channel width to 40mhz and then use of the available high band channels (149-165) available to you if you want a bit more speed or network performance and see how that works for you.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
scuffers1
Channel Surfer

Hi,

thanks for the reply...

1st, sorry, typo, it was supposed to say 3810.

not sure why I have the power cables I do, interestingly, one of the WR001's is a short one with a USB extender cable, the other is just a single long one.

Wifi wise, my AP's only cover 5G channels from 36-128, so can't test 140+, from what you're suggesting, the WR001's can only use Channel 36?

Anyway, thanks again...

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@scuffers1 

Just for clarity, the WR001 power cable (wireless receiver) is capable of receiving all the channels available to it on the 5ghz band.  The firmware on Roku has disabled DFS capability.  

Therefore, both the WR001 and WR002 cables can use 36-48, and 149-165.

In your particular case, you can use any channel between 36 and 48, if you are sure that your AP is limiting you to 128.  Sometimes lowering the bandwidth/channel-width on the 5ghz band to 40mhz (or even 20mhz) will make more channels available to the user on the 5ghz band.  If you are using "Automatic" channel selection, the router/AP can just be shoosing 36 for you.  Manually assign another channel between 36-48 to see if another channel works better.

0 Kudos
scuffers1
Channel Surfer

Interesting...

the odd bit is the WR002 I have is happily working on channel 100...

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@scuffers1 

There are occassional reports of a Roku device working on a DFS or other unsupported channel.  Normally it is a Roku device used in another country.  Most reports I have seen seem to be using the Roku in Japan for some reason. (haven't seen screenshots though).

What is the Roku device and where are you located that ch100 is working for you?  Does this ability to use ch100 follow the cable regardless of which device you are using?

To verify that it is actually operating on ch100, you can go to Settings/Networks/About and should tell you what wireless channel the Roku is using.  In many cases, when using a non-supported channel on 5ghz at router, the Roku is actually connecting to the 2.4ghz band (normally, because users are using the same name for both the 2.4ghz and 5ghz SSID).

0 Kudos
scuffers1
Channel Surfer

Well, this get's interesting...

first problem, the 3810 that came with a WR001 and the short lead with extender has a mini-USB connector, the other two have micro-USB connectors! (see attached)

no worries, got the other WR001 from the 3810, swapped them, and now the WR001 can use other 5G channels, so it's the stick, NOT the power lead.

the 3820EU - SN X017005K170G Can

The 3820X - SN X01700RRS3AL Can't

FYI, checked both with the sticks and the AP to verify what channel they are on - for this test I used 128 and 100 (I have more than one AP on 5G)

Not sure where this leaves me, I guess the firmware in the sticks is different?

FWIW, the 3820EU is actually called a 3820R on the box and came from the US, the 3820X came from Ebay, so I don't know what it's original country of origin was.

Your thoughts?

USBUSB3820EU3820EU

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@scuffers1 

Generally the EU suffix just means a European Union (UK) model.  

The X and R suffixes are generally US. (R and X generally means bought from a retailer).

Have not come across any online reports that the Roku EU models can use DFS, but actually the opposite.

--

Are you able to post a screenshot of the 3820EU working/connected to the DFS channel from Settings/Network/About?  (using either ch100 or ch128 as cited)

The previous screenshot shows you connected to an SSID with 5g in the name but does not show any wireless channel info.  The Settings/Network/About screen will reveal this info.

0 Kudos
scuffers1
Channel Surfer

OK, good to know...

I get the impression the first time you connect them to the internet, they update relative to where you are...

Below is a shot of it running on channel 100, and, as I said, it also works on 128

(these are the only two I have a actually used in playing about)

wifi100.JPG

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@scuffers1 

Certainly looks like you have a fluke there as it should not be working on 100. 

This explains why the other two Roku devices are not working on that channel though.

Hopefully a future firmware update does not disable your current ability to use this one to use DFS.  In the US, using a streaming device on a DFS channel would likely just cause repeated disconnections and headaches depending on proximity to other entities needing access to that channel.)

Now, Roku does occassionally beta-test with selected users (usually unknown to user), where they try out different features on selected devices.  Maybe this is a feature being tested (using DFS channels).  This is certainly not a normal firmware behavior for that device.

I would say enjoy it for as long as it lasts.  If it is a beta test, it will likely disappear.  Would appreciate an update if this occurs as Roku is always silent on these things.  One thing is for certain, the firmware on this 3820 is allowing the use of DFS channels, but the firmware on the other Streaming Sticks is still preventing you from using DFS channels on them (normal behavior).

---

Since you don't seem to mind playing around with the devices, the 3820 streaming devices are capable of using an ethernet connection with an ethernet adapter.  (need to abandon the wireless receiver cable and use the Roku remote app instead of the physical remote.)  If it is convenient for you to use ethernet, then would also help with the speed/connection that was in your initial question.  The 3810 cannot use ethernet though, just the new 3820 devices.

The list of compatible ethernet adapters are here. (https://support.roku.com/article/360058027813).  The 3820 is not "technically" supported but will work. (caveat = use Roku Remote app available from Play/Apple app stores)

0 Kudos