Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

Device wifi not working

My Roku wifi will not work....it had been working fine and then suddenly stopped.

If I connect the device using ethernet, it works: so it's not the HDMI cable.  I restarted the device several times.  I made sure that the device was properly connected to the modem.  The prompt on the television (when connected via ethernet) said that the device WAS connected via wifi, then the second I removed the ethernet cable the screen went black, despite having just seen on the television that it was connected wirelessly. 

Is this just a case of a dead Roku?  That it's planned obsolescence?  The ethernet connection works -- so obviously it's not the television, not the modem, not the HDMI cable, not the power source. 

24 Replies
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Device wifi not working

I am having the same exact problem on both of my devices.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Same problem on two devices

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

I'm glad to know it's not just me!  But given the fact several people have experienced the same problem simultaneously, it leads me to wonder if there is a wifi compatibility issue....i.e., whether there's been an internal reconfiguration that has made the Roku's wifi inoperable. 

Not unlike when you have a Mac OS system update and suddenly half your programs won't work any more. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

I tried resetting factory settings and now it wont work at all - it says I am on wifi but when I try to do something it says wifi not connected.  

And so glad there is no customer service to work with and they are ignoring this thread.  What a piece of **bleep** company.  Guess I will get an Amazon fire

Highlighted
Level 8

I suppose if we bought brand-new devices then magically there would be real customer service to assist.

But maybe not. 

The fact there is no one to respond except people in the "community" says a lot about their commitment to the product. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@jdd329 @lizzygirl26 @docsaba 

Thanks for the post.

Can you please provide more information regarding the issue you are experiencing? What Roku device model are you using?

We would recommend checking out some wireless troubleshooting tips on our Support page here: Tips for improving the wireless connection to your Roku® streaming device

If adjusting your wireless network (changing the wireless broadcast channel, etc.) isn't helping, please provide us with more information including what troubleshooting steps you have taken so we can further assist you.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

My problem is exactly as stated originally.

1.  The wifi is capability not working.  When I connect via ethernet and corroborate that the wifi is connected (and restart the Roku), once I remove the ethernet cable the wifi stops.

2.  It is not the HDMI cable (because everything works via ethernet). 

3.  It is not the internet, because once connected via ethernet it works.

4.  The system SAYS it is connected, it SAYS that I am connected wirelessly, but once I remove the ethernet cable everything goes black. 

5.  It doesn't matter how many times I go through this routine: it shows it is connected, it shows the wifi is working, but once the ethernet is removed, it's back to square one. 

This is exactly the same router/modem and system I've been using for several years without a problem.  Nothing has changed.  Same TV; same modem; same internet provider; same everything. 

I have looked at the troubleshooting information and it doesn't address this issue -- which, apparently, other people are also experiencing. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Also, on the screen where it shows that the wifi IS connected, it also states that the signal strength is excellent.  I am paying for "extreme" bandwidth, so there is no question but that there is sufficient transmitting capability with regard to the modem/router to operate the Roku/stream. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

my box is not working either and my internet and tv is perfectly fine and i have tryed the trouble shooting did not work so how do i get a refund

0 Kudos