Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Concerned2
Level 7

Re: Device keeps restarting

I bought a Roku  soundbar in March of this year. For the past month it will freeze right in the middle of whatever I am watching and restart. It it very annoying as it is doing it at least 3 times a day. What is the problem and what is going to be done about this? This is not a cord issue or a USB  problem, this seems to be a software issue and your customers want and need answers because we’ve spent good money on your products. 

0 Kudos
GuyR
Level 7

I found this thread via search because after 2 years with no issues, my Roku Express has recently started freezing and rebooting several times a day.  I'm going to try your suggestion of increasing the buffer.

[EDIT] I have the Roku Express, and couldn't find any buffer settings in the setup menu.  Apparently the Express does not have that capability.  I've paid some attention to this rebooting problem, and I seem to have the issue most often on the CBS News channel.  I watch Investigation Discovery often, and I don't have the reboot issue there (I really don't remember if it has ever frozen and rebooted, so obviously nowhere near as often as CBS News.)

[EDIT 11/3/2020] I've been paying closer attention, and this seems to be happening to me *only* on the CBS News channel, most noticeably while watching 48 Hours episodes.  I'd be interested to hear if others have noticed any patterns in what they are watching when they encounter these hang/reboot issues.  I can watch the Investigation Discovery channel, many different shows and episodes, without any issues.

[EDIT 12/29/2020] In my case at least, this definitely seems to be related to a specific channel, CBS News.  I often watch the Investigation Discovery channel, and have never had the problem there.  Recently, I added another CBS channel, CBS All Access.  And while watching the same 48 Hours I've been watching on the troublesome channel, I have not yet experienced a hang or reset on CBS All Access.  I don't know *why* the original CBS News channel is so troublesome and this other CBS All Access channel is not.  The All Access channel is not as convenient, as it asks me to sign in every single time.  But if Roku is reading these posts (which apparently they are not), then I hope my digging into the specifics has helped isolate the problem.

0 Kudos
androo27_
Level 7

Mine is starting to do the same thing. Roku what’s the deal. I spent hard earned money for this and it f u c k s up after 8 months ? C’mon. 

0 Kudos
Luchi1alberti
Level 7

I'm thinking the same.

I'm having same problem with my Rolu 2, since middle july

0 Kudos
Wasafan
Level 7

Yep, another here.  Constant reboot loop.  Very frustrating.  Looking for an alternate product, problems like this will be the end of Roku.

0 Kudos
Ultra2038
Level 7

It is truly frustrating. The device Roku Ultra supposed to be top-notch streaming device. We are supposed to get better service than rebooting the device non-stop. I changed the HDMI / switched to power cards / Moved the Roku device next to my AC double band router, and still, no luck getting Roku to stop booting crazy. I tried the reset twice yet, it is going bazinga!

As people on this thread are discussing I think eventually Roku community will move on to something who is more responsive for their customerbase.

Anyone else has any Idea how to stop this non-stop craziness and get back to watching the shows like we used to do before all these firmware updates went haywire? If buying new one solve the problem, why can't Roku provide the same solutions for people who bought their devices a year back? I can understand the legacy devices needs to sunset. However, the latest devices should not break because of firmware update that was passed on due to mediocare software developer at Roku. That is just not acceptable from end user perspective.

0 Kudos
Kempton
Level 7

I am having the same problems and have tried new cables and plugging into different power sources, and it went from a few time to every hour I have even had my Comcast cable checked and upgraded to the highest speed and nothing has resolved the issue leaving only one solution and that is to replace the Roku box if I can find coupons or discounts on a new device otherwise I will search the alternatives for the best rated.

0 Kudos
pilgrim00
Level 7

Bought new roku #express tried resetting new cords still same issue ,poor support. Guess have to send back to amazon

0 Kudos
Ashlee63
Level 7

We find it happens the most when we are trying to use the Netflix app... we usually have about 6-10secs in the app before a reboot happens. That being said, it does still happen when we use any of our other apps, just slightly less frequently, and in all case, insanely frustrating.

0 Kudos
Krista7
Level 7

I have roku express and I’ve had it for a year now and never had an issue till this week and mine keeps shutting off and rebooting as well. This has nothing to do with cords or anything. Seems to me there’s an issue with roku itself. Everywhere I look online this is an ongoing issue 

0 Kudos