Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Zsadewhite
Channel Surfer

Device and remote on different network

Remote is on different network as device cannot connect to change 

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Device and remote on different network

Hi @Zsadewhite,

Saw your post!

Can you please provide us with more specific information about the issue you are experiencing?

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Zsadewhite
Channel Surfer

Thank you. I've moved and I don't have the remote. We've been using the remote app on my phone. The app and the device have to be on the same network. I am trying to reset the network the device is on but cannot do so without the physical remote 

@RokuMary-F wrote:

Hi @Zsadewhite,

Saw your post!

Can you please provide us with more specific information about the issue you are experiencing?

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Best regards,
Mary

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@Zsadewhite 

If you can remember the last network name and network password from your previous setup, you can change these in your current router (SSID name and SSID password).  Your Roku device should then be able to connect, allowing control via Roku remote app.  Once connected, you can then change these settings in your router back to whatever you want.

You can also do similar method with a mobile hotspot.  Use one mobile device as mobile hotspot (setup with login creds of your last network by changing the hotspot name and password), and then use another mobile device with the Roku app on it connected to this same hotspot.

The above methods will/should work as long as your device has been setup/activated previously on a network and has not been Factory Reset.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
Zsadewhite
Channel Surfer

Hello. Thank you. What do you mean change my router like my internet ?

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@Zsadewhite 

Yes, your router settings.  You can normally login to your router admin panel from a web browser to make these changes or some have a mobile app that allows you to do this. (the SSID name and password are usually under the Basic Settings - Wireless Settings).

Post your router model number and ISP (internet service provider) and can perhaps provide instructions or instructions link to making these changes. 

Zsadewhite
Channel Surfer

That worked !! Thanks 🙂

Zsadewhite
Channel Surfer

So if I go back and rename it to the new name on the router willl that kick me off ?

@Zsadewhite wrote:

That worked !! Thanks 🙂

@Zsadewhite wrote:

That worked !! Thanks 🙂

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@Zsadewhite 

If you rename the SSID and password (to new ones), you will now be able to re-connect to the new SSID creds using your mobile app Remote.  You just had to get by this initial re-connection using the old creds because Roku remembers last known network settings. (it now is assigned a LAN IP by your new router, so it is now configured to this network setting).  You are free to change the SSID creds and the Roku will now connect to this new router with the new creds. (Just use your remote app to point them to the new network).

0 Kudos