Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Use.

Hi,
I have just got a Roku Express a few weeks ago. This thin is a JOKE.It used so much dataa. Can you not set data usage. I also have an older roku, and I was able to set the data streem and it worked just fine. I have used as much data as 25 gig in one day. This needs to be fixed. this new Roku Express is a joke. can hardly watch anything. Someone please help. When I go to set the data stream it always sets back to automatic. Any help would be much appreciated..
Thanks,
Verry discusted User.
0 Kudos
13 Replies
jeffrok
Level 11

Re: Data Use.

How much are you watching in a day? Need to know so we know if 25GB is a realisitic amount of data.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos

Several hours. Trying to set it to stream @ 3.5 MB. Have a 300 gig cap with a 100 MB connection. I could set my older Roku to stream at 3:45, I might use 10 gig a day, but this other is ridiculous. I can’t get it to stream at 3.5.
0 Kudos
Tonya_G
Level 7

Who is your internet provider?
0 Kudos
Elijah_Baley
Level 7

"Michael Pyron" wrote:
Several hours. Trying to set it to stream @ 3.5 MB. Have a 300 gig cap with a 100 MB connection.  I could set my older Roku to stream at 3:45, I might use 10 gig a day, but this other is ridiculous. I can’t get it to stream at 3.5.

If you are trying to use one of the so called "secret screens" to override the Roku's normal usage those screens were never officially supported and they are not supported at all on variable bitrate streams like Netflix, Amazon and many/most of the newer apps.
Sometimes there are bitrate limits/settings available per account on the provider's website but that is up to the provider not Roku.
Two Roku Ultras, three Roku 3s and a Roku 1
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.
0 Kudos

Hi again,
Michael here.
So, am I getting this right? The newer Rokus' don't support the bit rate screens on the older Rokus. I mis quoted, I am using a Roku Express+. Can't remember the old Roku I have, but I was able to set it @ 3.5mb. So, if I am correct, the new Roku is streaming @ 12 MBPS. I am using a lot of data now..lol.
My ISP is Cableone.
I may just have to switch back to the old Roku. I use Philo as a TV provider, and I called them about setting up a bit rate on there end. So it may take some time to get it done.
Thanks guys for the help..
Hope I didn't go on too much..
God Bless all.
Ps.
One more quick question..
Does anyone know of any support for the screen reader on the Roku?
I am totally blind as well, and was just wanting to discuss some things about it with someone.
Thanks again Guyys..
0 Kudos
Tajson
Level 7

"Michael Pyron" wrote:
with a 100 MB connection.

You have a race car of a connection and the streaming options will use it to the max so the usage will be high since adaptive bitrate cannot be fixed like you explained.
On a 15 Mbps connection, I can easily use 5GB of data in less than 3 hours so 15 hours on the weekend day we can easily use 25GB from one device. But we have multiple devices.
0 Kudos
KJSS
Level 7

Switch to comcast XFI. 15 dollars more on top of current bill gets you unlimited internet. Must be on 150mb plan. But still not bad. Never wory about overages again. How much is cable one costing you now?
0 Kudos

Hi,
I am currently paying $65 a month for 100 meg plan with Cable One. Unfortunately that is the only company in Grenada Mississippi. LOL there are others around but they’re too far from me. Enjoy the speed, just save 300 gig limit. LOL Mystery
0 Kudos

I also forgot, Cable One has an unlimited plan for $40 more than what I’m already paying. So that would be, $105 a month. I think that’s ridiculous for unlimited Internet.
There should not be caps at all regardless of programs. Cable can’t meet are greedy.
0 Kudos