Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2pints
Level 8

Re: Data Use.

I'm surprised that US ISps are still offering capped deals.
 from a UK perspective, you can get unlimited data for around the equivalent of $35/month ( speeds upto 70mb typicaly 36mb and above depending upon condition of the line)  and if your happy with ADSL ( speeds around 10mb ) that drops to US$24

The company(s) that own the infrastructure ( ie the cables/wires) have to allow other third party companys access ( such as other ISPs ) over their cables/wires in order to promote competition, keep prices down and prevent a monopoly
0 Kudos
KJSS
Level 10

Its not a lot for unlimited internet.  If you stream 4k movies and shows 24 hours a day 7 days a week at the end of the month that is way more than 300gb.  That is like 5tb.  So its not bad for unlimited.
0 Kudos
Erin1
Level 7

Mine just used 53 gigs of data and we watched 3 Bosch episodes and a movie. It seems to be running constantly searching got something!! I live in a float lodge on the ocean with only 300gigs per month and I cant sustain this HELP ANYONE???
0 Kudos
groucho111
Level 7

Re: Roku taking up too much data

I Comcast and have a data cap.  1000 GB. I have a daughter with health issues and she is at home watching a lot of TV.  She has been watching a series on Prime this month and we went WAY over for the first time ever.  We used like, 1500 GB.  Comcast notified me I went over.  you get 2 free months.  after that it is an extra $10 for every 50 GB over.  So at this point if I was getting charged it would have added an extra $100 to my cable bill

dlwalke
Level 7

Trying to understand general rules for data usage

I don't know what determines data usage.

I have (A) an internet connection that I use to watch TV shows on YouTube Live, (B) a non-4K TV (1080p/i I guess), and (C) 2 Roku devices - a Streaming Stick+ that supports 4K content and an Express that doesn't.

So if I want to watch a show that is available in 4K (assuming one has the right equipment), is my data use going to be higher (than non-4K content) no matter what I'm using to watch it, or would I only be using more data if I was watching that show using a Roku device that supports 4K (i.e., the Streaming Stick+ but not the Express) irrespective of what kind of TV I have, or would I only be using more data if I am watching the 4K show with a Roku device that supports 4K content on a 4K TV?

Thanks,

Dave

0 Kudos
Perico
Level 8

Re: Trying to understand general rules for data usage

At 4k data usage soars.

0 Kudos
Perico
Level 8

It doesn't matter who the ISP is, the question is how to lower data usage.

Perico
Level 8

Not everyone has the option to switch.  Some people in smaller town/cities may be stuck with just one ISP.

0 Kudos
Fred999
Level 7

From a U.S. perspective, my $35 per month "unlimited data" ($70 per month because I have 2 phones) gets throttled so severely after 35 GB that it renders internet use worthless for the rest of the month. 

0 Kudos
Perico
Level 8

Not Suddenlink which is owned by French Company Altice.  Suddenlink will even charge to send a paper bill.

0 Kudos