Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Control non-local Roku remotely online?

For some reason when I am not home my Roku box (4k) seems to have the ability to turn on my TV.  If I unplug the Roku box (4k) this problem never occurs.  However, often I am gone and forget to unplug the Roku Box.  Is there a way I can get to the Roku Box online and turn off my tv using the the "turn off TV" option that is an option on the box? 

I guess to be more clear, I would like to run my home roku box online while I am gone, in order to turn off my tv.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Level 19

Re: Control non-local Roku remotely online?

I don't think what you want to do is possible, but I think you're asking the wrong question.  Your Roku shouldn't be turning on your TV.  I'd try turning off "1-touch play" under Settings->System->Control other devices.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 18

Do you make a habit of returning your Roku to its home screen when you're not watching, to make sure the Roku is not actively doing anything?

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Yes, I do.  I guess I can just unplug my TV when I'm going to be gone, or adjust settings on Roku box as mentioned earlier.  My main question was can I control the box from a remote location and the answer is "No".  Since the box is perpetually online (in my case), it would seem like a good feature for Roku engineers / software developers to consider allowing customers to configure and/or run the box from a remote location.  Thanks all for your time Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 18

Maybe the best solution for you would be to power both the tv and Roku through a "smart" powerstrip that senses when the tv shuts down and then shuts off the outlet the Roku is plugged into.

I've never used one of these, but it may necessitate setting your tv to really shut all the way down instead of just going into low power standby, so you would not get as quick a start up.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
0 Kudos