Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kringsy
Level 7

Connectivity issue with new update

new update done on June 4th 2020 7:20 pm eastern has created an issue with no valid bitrate and loses wifi connection after 15 minutes of viewing. Before update everything was working fine. This is an express with 9.3.0 build 4170-51.  All other devices on this network are working fine.  

6 Replies
makaiguy
Level 20

Re: Connectivity issue with new update

AFter receiving a Roku software update, it's a good idea to force a system update check to make sure any channel apps that have been updated for the new Roku software get installed.

Settings > System > System update

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
0 Kudos
nellm
Level 7

I am having the same issue, everything was working fine prior to update

0 Kudos
jazzer94
Level 8

Further information:

I'm now receiving a 14.50 error on an express+ (that was purchased directly from Roku about 3 weeks ago) that updated to 9.3 on Friday.  The unit was working ok on Friday and Saturday but all streams seemed to be buffering and pixelating much more often and having a lot of troubles. Today, Sunday, the unit worked for approximately 15 minutes and then disconnected from the network.  I then began receiving the 14.50 error.  Restarting the Roku and Router multiple times did not solve the problem.  I then did a factory reset of the unit and not only can I not connect to the router, but I can't do anything else.  Without a network connect to finish the setup, the device is unusable.

I was able to find the hidden menu #1 which allowed me to update the software, even though I was being told that there was no internet connection.  This sounds like there is a major bug within the update since my unit is reporting no internet connection but is able to receive updates.  The unit did do an update but since the connection issue persists, I cannot complete the set-up of the device.  Therefore, it is unusable.

I own 5 different units and all of the other units are working correctly (including a Roku 2).  Along with the numerous complaints online and in your forum about the 9.3 update and that I have 5 other units that are working correctly, this is a bug that is making this unit useless.  

Version:519.30E04170A, Build Date: 20200530 02:11, S/N:TG008T437077, Device ID: C53958437077

makaiguy
Level 20

Does it at least let you get to the home screen?  If it does, have you tried to clear out your net settings altogether and start over establishing a net connection?

Settings > System > Advanced system settings > Network reset

Followed by:
Settings > Network > Set up connection

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
0 Kudos
jazzer94
Level 8

The sequence after a factory reset is to select Language and then connect to the wireless network.  There are no options to by-pass the wireless network settings and the unit has already been factory reset so there should be no settings stored in the unit.

I believe that the 9.3 update has coding that is requiring a higher signal strength.  Here's why I think that:

1. While at 9.2, the Express+ and router worked extremely well together.  There were never any dropped connections, buffering, etc.  The signal strength was always reported by the unit as Good and I believe the speed was around 6 mbps.
2. When 9.3 was installed, the 14.5 error began happening.  The Express+ also began to buffer, pixelate, and drop connection.  The connection then degraded to the point that it would no longer connect to the router.  Also, connection could not be achieved after numerous restarts of unit and router.
3. I was able to complete the set-up after factory reset by using a hotspot.  The unit worked well while connected to the hotspot.
4. After set-up, I was able to get the unit to connect to the router for approximately 60 seconds.  The unit reported a Good signal strength and the speed at 6 mbps.
5. After the 60 seconds, the 14.5 errors began to occur and I could no longer connect to the router
6. Changing router channels had no effect
7. Location of both units has not changed

This leads me to believe that 9.3 essentially requires a higher signal strength which makes the unit unusable in my situation.  I have reconnected the Roku 2 unit and it works fine and is reporting a signal strength of Excellent and a speed of 6 mbps.  I wish there was a way to contact customer service so that I could get my money back for this unit as I purchased it directly from Roku (which has taught me to not do that again.) 

bjr70
Level 7

I am having this same issue and it's maddening. I've tried everything and it's still happening.

0 Kudos