Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Eagles2019
Level 7

Connection / streaming issues

Hi

I have a new (2 months old) roku stick.  The TV which it is connected to is maybe 15 feet from my router (on the same floor).  The stick is connected to the 5.0 wireless.  I often run a speed test on my phone (in the same room as the TV) and i average around 190 mbps as a download speed.  When I check the connection strength of my roku connection never gets 'above' good.  While watching YouTube TV, I often receive a 'low bandwidth' message.  This of course impacts picture quality..  Often leading the losing a picture and receiving the spiraling circle thing

Any suggestions on what may be the issue?  And how to correct?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
apodtele
Level 7

Re: Connection / streaming issues

Have you ever speedtested your connection at the time when Roku complains?

In general, who knows? If you live in an apartment building and your neighbors are streaming over the same WiFi channel, without even hacking you router, your are screwed... Or your provider reaches its capacity during prime-time hours... Or your children are streaming upstairs, while you think they are sleeping...

It does not have to be Roku's fault.
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 10

"Eagles2019" wrote:
Hi

I have a new (2 months old) roku stick.  The TV which it is connected to is maybe 15 feet from my router (on the same floor).  The stick is connected to the 5.0 wireless.  I often run a speed test on my phone (in the same room as the TV) and i average around 190 mbps as a download speed.  When I check the connection strength of my roku connection never gets 'above' good.  While watching YouTube TV, I often receive a 'low bandwidth' message.  This of course impacts picture quality..  Often leading the losing a picture and receiving the spiraling circle thing

Any suggestions on what may be the issue?  And how to correct?

You could be getting interference from the TV, or something near the TV.

Sometimes, moving the device a short distance makes a difference. With a Stick, there are 2 ways to accomplish this. One is to use a different HDMI port. The other is to attach an extender cable (it’s only 2-4 inches). Roku offers those free for the asking. Check support.roku.com for the info on how to get one.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
renojim
Level 10

0 Kudos
Eagles2019
Level 7