Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rifkab

Connection drops every couple day and I have to reboot my router.

Every day it seems like my connection drops and the only way to solve the problem is to restart my router. I ready to get rid of the Roku it is so not worth the hassle.

17 REPLIES 17
boogernose
Roku Guru

Re: Connection drops every couple day and I have to reboot my router.

So assuming youre using wifi you can strengthen your signal

with a repeater or a Bridge. It is possible also you are having service

interruptions from your provider. You havent given us much to work with.

Check your signal strength; Settings/Network/About>>Internet Download Speed is it "Good"

also Check Connection.

What Model Roku do you have can you move it around???

https://support.roku.com/article/115015678567

---A problem clearly stated is a problem half solved---.
0 Kudos
Cascee
Reel Rookie

I am having the same issue. My roku device is 10 ft away from my wifi router and it's completely unobstructed.  The wifi router is brand new and always has excellent signal strength. I'm ready to switch to firestick after only a few days. I'm tired of having to reset router and roku daily.

RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Hello @Cascee

Thanks for the post.

Since you've mentioned that you have a brand new router, did you recently make some changes to your network settings? You can try to update or reset your Roku network setting by following the steps below: 

1. Press the Home button on your Roku remote.
  2. Scroll up or down and select Settings.
  3. Select Network.
  4. Select Set up connection.
  5. Select Wireless.
  6. Choose your wireless network from the list of available networks. If you do not see your network, select Scan again to see all networks. After you select your network, enter the password.

Note: If a stronger wireless signal is detected and it shares the name of the network you selected, you may see a recommendation to choose the better network. Connecting to the recommended network is more likely to result in a reliable streaming experience.

If the issue persists, reply to us with the model and the serial number of the affected Roku device which can be found by going to Settings > System > About

Please keep us posted!

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
Cascee
Reel Rookie

The model is the Roku SE and model number is 3930-RW. The serial number is X004007PNA8C.

I have done all the resets and setups more than one time.  I have to do it EVERY DAY. Roku was purchased AFTER our network upgrade. Everything else on my network work just fine. The Roku will not recognize our wifi until a full reset on router and device, which is a big hassle and not worth the time. I am thinking this device was a waste of money. 

RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Thanks for the reply, @Cascee

Based on the model and serial number you provided, you have a Roku Express (3930RW). Roku Express is a single-band device that is only compatible with wireless b/g/n networks on the 2.4 GHz spectrum. Have you ensured your router is broadcasting a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network for the device to connect to?

Please let us know and we'll assist you from there.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Cascee
Reel Rookie

Yes, it broadcasts 2.4 and 5.0.

RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Got it, @Cascee

We suggest connecting your Roku Express to the 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi network to see if that resolves the connectivity issue. If still no dice, try using wireless channels 1, 6, or 11 which are the preferred channels in North America. Each time you change the wireless channel, you will likely need to apply/save changes before you are prompted to restart the router.

Keep us posted on how it goes.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Cascee
Reel Rookie

I've done all of the above, and I still have problems. Every day i have to reset my internet for the roku to be able to see my wifi. I'm just done with it. Thank you for trying to help.

RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

@Cascee

Thanks for the information. 

I have passed along your concern to our Support team. They will follow up and further assist you.

Your patience and understanding are greatly appreciated.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos