Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
norbyson
Level 8

Connection Issue with Roku Unit...

Hi,

I been troubleshooting my Roku connection issue since last night.

I tried resetting the unit and my router multiple times with no success.  The unit seems

to detect the internet connection but is not making the connection.  My

other devices are fine and my connection is strong.

I'm wondering if there are any current issues?  Please advise.

Btw, I live in the SF Bay Area if it makes any difference.

Thanks

0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9\
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Connection Issue with Roku Unit...

@norbyson-

I've run into this here several times.  This has always worked for me to re-establish my net connection when it has been lost:

• Restart your router (even if other devices have no problem finding and connecting). Sometimes that's all it takes, if not keep going.
  • Restart the Roku to clear its memory via Settings > System > System restart (for a Roku TV it's Settings > System > Power > System restart). Again sometimes that's all it takes, if not keep going.
  • Find and connect to your network via Settings> Network > Set up connection

If that doesn't fix it, try disconnecting the power to your Roku for a few seconds.  When it comes back up, see if you then can set up the network connection.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.
Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X | Streaming Stick 3600

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.". Please only do this if it ACTUALLY solves your problem.
norbyson
Level 8

Thanks.

Now it's prompting me to re-setup my Roku unit.  Starting from Language, etc...

Before, it was confirming the connection.

Please advise.

Thanks

0 Kudos
makaiguy

@norbyson-

If you performed a Factory reset (either by holding the reset button in for at least 30 seconds or via Roku menu path Settings > System > Advanced system settings > Factory reset) this returns the Roku to a just-out-of-the-box condition such that you have to configure as though it were a new unit.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.". Please only do this if it ACTUALLY solves your problem.
0 Kudos
norbyson
Level 8

Are there any compatibility issues with a Xfinity router? I been running one for awhile with not too many issues.  Maybe it's acting up.  Any suggestions with this router would be appreciated.  Thanks.

renojim

@norbyson, several people have had problems with Xfinity routers lately.  See this thread:

https://community.roku.com/t5/Network-Wireless-Wired-Connections/Error-code-14-30-But-Internet-Conne...

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
ilmdg615
Level 7

Same exact problem we were having.  Wireless signal excellent, but Roku would not connect.  My Roku Streaming Stick was purchased in April 2018.  Took a brand new Roku Streaming Stick+ from another TV and connection went through immediately.  Moral of story - Roku sticks go bad!

0 Kudos
norbyson
Level 8

Are there any issues with Xfinity Routers?  That's what I'm using.  Thanks.

0 Kudos
makaiguy

@norbyson  -

Your problem may have been caused by a recent update to many Xfinity-supplied routers:

Xfinity users report the router configuration needs to be switched back to b/g/n security. If you don't have access to your router settings, you may have to request Xfinity to do this for you.

0 Kudos
norbyson
Level 8

Update:

I contacted Xfinity and they diagnosed my Router remotely.

They determined it needed a software update, so they uploaded it

and the Rokus work now!

Thanks everyone for your suggestions!

I had a feeling it was the Router.

0 Kudos