Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Re: Connecting Roku to WiFi without remote

Jump to solution

You didnt mention your Roku model name/#.

You have 3 options:

1) Buy a remote - if its a stick model, you can get the $20 Voice Remote or $30 Voice Remote Pro from roku.com/Walmart/Best Buy/Amazon/etc.  For all other models you can get a $5-15 IR-only universal/Roku preprogammed remote, or use the official Roku remotes listed above.

2) Use the Remote app - If this Roku was previously connected to WiFi (and the information is still stored in it), you can change your new/current WiFi SSID name+password in your modem/router/gateway to match what is in the Roku, and assuming it connects, you'd then be able to access it with the app.

3) A complex convoluted method involving multiple devices and using your phone as a HotSpot - @makaiguy  may come along to provide it.

I heavily recommend #1

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Connecting Roku to WiFi without remote

Jump to solution

Here's the convoluted method mentioned by @StreamerUser :

This method is complicated, but if you really need it …

You will need ALL of these:

-- A Roku that is still set up for its prior network. If it was no longer connecting to that network when you shut it down, if you have cleared its network settings, or if you have done a factory reset, your only recourse is to use a remote to set the Roku network connection up.

-- Knowledge of the network name (SSID) and password from your former network that the Roku is currently configured to use.

-- A mobile phone with WiFi hotspot capabilities.

-- A second WiFi-equipped mobile device, either a phone or tablet, with the official Roku (not TheRokuChannel) app installed.

If you have all these things, here's how you do it:

1) Configure the WiFi hotspot on your mobile phone to use the same network name (SSID) and password from your former home network that the Roku is currently configured to use. If your hotspot can use the 5 GHz WiFi band, switch it to the 2.4 GHz band for compatibility with all Roku models.

2) After you turn on this hotspot, pull the power plug on your Roku for a few seconds then plug it back in. When the Roku starts up it should connect to the hotspot and through the phone to the internet. You just won't be able to control the Roku yet.

3) Connect your second device (phone or tablet) to the first phone's WiFi hotspot network.

4) Now that this second device and your Roku are both connected to the same WiFi hotspot, you can run the Roku app on the second device to gain control of your Roku using the app's remote control capabilities.

5) Using the app on the second device, set up the new network on the Roku, via Settings > Network > Set up network, using the new network's SSID and password.

6) When the Roku connects to the new network, disconnect the second mobile device from the WiFi hotspot and connect it to the new home network (SSID and password).

7) You can now continue to use the Roku app on the second device to operate your Roku on the new network.

😎 The Roku is no longer connecting to your phone's WiFi hotspot, so you can shut that down. If you wish, you can also use the Roku app on this phone to control your Roku.

If you decide to try this, please report back how it worked.

I'd still suggest acquiring a compatible remote if only to make it much easier to recover if your Roku ever drops its network connection and needs to be reconnected.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
syarcs

Re: Remote won’t connect + wireless issue

Jump to solution

What is my first step? I have a separate computer to put in info to ROKU.

0 Kudos
syarcs

Jump to solution

what is my next step?

0 Kudos
syarcs

Jump to solution

I have a samaung TV and my account is on an imac.

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Hi @syarcs

Thanks for the post.

We do not have enough details from your original message to make an effective suggestion. Could you tell us specifically about the issue you're running into?

With more information, we can assist you further.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos

How to connect TV to WiFi without remote

Jump to solution

I lost my remote so I wanted to use the app but my device isn’t connected to the wifi, and I need the remote to connect it. How do I connect it to wifi without the remote.

renojim

Re: Connecting to wifi without remote

Jump to solution

Can't be done.  Get a remote unless you can configure you're Wi-Fi to match the old Wi-Fi.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
makaiguy

Re: Connecting to wifi without remote

Jump to solution

@Joshgunter14-

The Roku app on a phone can only be used with Rokus that are already connected to your home network, so you have to use a method other than the Roku app to set up a new net connection.

FIRST METHOD

Normally a remote compatible with your Roku model is used to set up the Roku's net connection. This is by far the simplest method.

Report back with your Roku model (and model number if you have it) and we can advise you on which remote you need.

SECOND METHOD

You will need all of these:

-- A Roku that is still set up for its prior network. If it was no longer connecting to that network when you shut it down, if you have cleared its network settings, or if you have done a factory reset, your only recourse is to use a remote to set the Roku network connection up.

-- Knowledge of the network name (SSID) and password that the Roku is currently configured to use.

-- Access to your current router's control panel. If you don't have this access, scroll down to the third method.

-- A phone or other mobile device with the Roku app (not TheRokuChannel app) installed.

If you have ALL of the above:

Go into your router's control panel and set your new network to use the same network name (SSID) and password as your previous network.

Pull the power plug on your Roku for a few seconds then plug it back in. When it boots up it should connect to your reconfigured net.

Now when you connect your phone to this same net you should be able to use the Roku app to control your Roku once again.

THIRD METHOD

This method is more complicated, but if you really need it …

In addition to a Roku still configured for its prior network and knowledge of the prior network's SSID and password as listed for method two, you'll also need:

-- A mobile phone with WiFi hotspot capabilities.

-- A second WiFi-equipped mobile device, either a phone or tablet, with the official Roku (not TheRokuChannel) app installed.

If you have all these things, here's how you do it:

1) Configure the WiFi hotspot on your mobile phone to use the same network name (SSID) and password from your former home network that the Roku is currently configured to use. If your hotspot can use the 5 GHz WiFi band, switch it to the 2.4 GHz band for compatibility with all Roku models.

2) After you turn on this hotspot, pull the power plug on your Roku for a few seconds then plug it back in. When the Roku starts up it should connect to the hotspot and through the phone to the internet. You just won't be able to control the Roku yet.

3) Connect your second device (phone or tablet) to the first phone's WiFi hotspot network.

4) Now that this second device and your Roku are both connected to the same WiFi hotspot, you can run the Roku app on the second device to gain control of your Roku using the app's remote control capabilities.

5) Using the app on the second device, set up the new network on the Roku, via Settings > Network > Set up network, using the new network's SSID and password.

6) When the Roku connects to the new network, disconnect the second mobile device from the WiFi hotspot and connect it to the new home network (SSID and password).

7) You can now continue to use the Roku app on the second device to operate your Roku on the new network.

😎 The Roku is no longer connecting to your phone's WiFi hotspot, so you can shut that down. If you wish, you can also use the Roku app on this phone to control your Roku.

Few will actually try this, so if you do, please report back how it worked.

If you use method two or three I'd still suggest acquiring a compatible remote to make it possible to recover much more easily if your Roku ever drops its network connection and needs to be reconnected.