Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hockeylover1919
Level 7

Connecting to internet issue

I bought a Roku Streaming stick 3800R from marketplace online. My husband went and picked it up for me and when he got home there was no remote. I was told that I would be able to do everything on my phone with the Roku App like I could do if I had the actual remote. Well, I’m not sure if I’m just not the brightest bulb on the tree or not but I can not get this Roku to do anything. When I turn my personal hotspot on I can see the hotspot for my Roku but it says there is a password. I don’t know the password. How do change or remove the password? The people I bought this from are not helping me in anyway shape or form. Please help me!!! I just want to watch some good ol boob tube. 
TIA, Jennifer

0 Kudos
1 Reply
makaiguy
Level 21

Re: Connecting to internet issue

What you were told is only partially true.  Once the Roku is connected to your local network it CAN be controlled by the Roku app on a mobile device connected to the same net.  But the remote app is useless for connecting the Roku to the net in the first place -- for this you need a remote compatible with your Roku.

For your 3800 Roku sick you'll want a Roku Voice Remote available from Roku on this page: https://my.roku.com/upgrade/

You may also be able to find one locally at a discount or big box store or from other online sources.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
0 Kudos