Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GregDaniel
Level 7

Connecting to a network with using only the app

Jump to solution

I lost my Roku Premiere remote during the move to a new house. I have a new internet connection and want to connect my phone to my Roku and use the app as the remote. If I go to my settings on my iPhone phone, I see that it is showing up in WiFi connections as DIRECT-roku-xxx-xxxx. If you try to connect it asks for a password. How can I connect my iPhone to my Roku without an internet connection on the Roku (yet) or where can you find the password?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Connecting to a network with using only the app

Jump to solution

@GregDaniel 

Not how it works. You need a remote.

A Premiere will support an IR remote. You can pick up a cheap universal remote at Family Dollar, Walmart, Best Buy, or a slew of other places, less than $10, possibly as cheap as $5, depending on stock. Just make sure it says on the packaging that it supports Roku.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2\
DBDukes

Jump to solution

@GregDaniel 

Not how it works. You need a remote.

A Premiere will support an IR remote. You can pick up a cheap universal remote at Family Dollar, Walmart, Best Buy, or a slew of other places, less than $10, possibly as cheap as $5, depending on stock. Just make sure it says on the packaging that it supports Roku.

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@GregDaniel 

If you can remember your old network login credentials (network name=SSID, and your SSID password), then you can change that from within your new router.  Located under your Wireless Settings/Wireless Security from within the admin settings of your router.  Change these to reflect those of your old router's network settings.  You should then be able to continue using your mobile app.  (You can then change these network settings back to whatever you want after you have successfully connected once.)

I would certainly buy a physical remote as suggested by @DBDukes though asa backup.  Either the inexpensive IR, or a replacement Roku Voice Remote. (Can even purchase them at Walmart, Target, Best Buy, etc, approx. $20 or so I think).

The above method of changing the router's network settings will only work if you have not factory reset your device or if this is a brand new device (ie. it must have been successfully set up prior w/ a remote at some time).  Sounds like you just moved locations, so should work for you.

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660x, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941
0 Kudos