Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
opper79
Level 7

Connecting to 5K

We just received fiber optic internet/5K. 5K works on my laptop but Roku wont pickup 5K signal when I rescan for the newer high speed. I think I have the older, lower quality Roku. What version do I need to buy that will be conpatible with 5K?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
renojim
Level 21

Re: Connecting to 5K

I assume you mean 5GHz.  The sticks, Ultra, and some others support 5GHz.  The Express and I believe the Premiere do not.  You can see which ones do here:  https://www.roku.com/products/players

If it doesn't specify "dual band" under network then it doesn't support 5GHz.

Strega
Level 12

In addition, it's worth noting that you may not see any difference in 5GHz and 2.4GHz when you are streaming TV (especially if the TV is not 4K.) so you might consider turning the 2.4GHz on at the router as a cheap/quick solution.

0 Kudos
opper79
Level 7

thanks, yes....I meant 5G. I get good reception with my regular internet but I wanted the faster speed. 

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Level 20

@opper79 wrote:

thanks, yes....I meant 5G. I get good reception with my regular internet but I wanted the faster speed. 

2.4 GHz speeds are quite adequate for the data rates needed for streaming video over the internet.  It's not like downloading a computer file where a higher speed gets you the file quicker.  For streaming, the server at the other end just dribbles the program files to you at a rate that can be displayed.  In fact the wifi radios in Roku's are no faster than they need to be for this purpose so that extra 5 GHz speed would go to waste anyway.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
0 Kudos