Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
patricka02
Streaming Star

Connecting to 5 GHz Wifi - Roku Stick+

Jump to solution

The Stick+ is dual band, but it seems to only connect to the 2.4 GHz band.  I have the same SSID for the 2.4 GHz and the 5GHz radios. (I know they can be different SSID, but my ISP said to use the same for both.)  Is there any way to get the Stick+ to prefer 5 GHz?

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Connecting to 5 GHz Wifi - Roku Stick+

Jump to solution

The Roku will never connect on 5 GHz as long as the router insists on using a DFS channel. My suggestion is to add a separate access point on your network for 5 GHz. I have a UniFi WAP as one of my access points. By default it too uses DFS channels, so I manually assigned the channel and all my 5 GHz capable Roku players can connect.  I didn't need to add it for the reason you need to, but it's still a valid choice. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.

View solution in original post

AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

After looking into it some more, it appears you are not even bound by ATT to use that router (assume you are renting it).  Some ISPs require you to use their own.  Looks like plenty of routers compatible with ATT and fiber.  Changing my vote to ditch that router all together, save on the rental fees, and buy a fiber compatible, configurable router that allows you control over your network.

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

View solution in original post

47 REPLIES 47
atc98092

Jump to solution

Check the channel assignment on the 5 GHz radio. If your router has assigned a NFS DFS channel (49-148) a Roku device will never see it. You would then need to manually assign a channel number below 49 or above 148. Many routers don't have NFS DFS channels, but some still do. My UniFi access points auto-assigned an NFS DFS channel and I had to change it manually. 

Dan

renojim

Jump to solution

He means DFS channels.

I am not a Roku employee.
atc98092

Jump to solution

Thanks. Busy day, my brain has shut down... 😛

Dan

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@patricka02 wrote:

The Stick+ is dual band, but it seems to only connect to the 2.4 GHz band.  I have the same SSID for the 2.4 GHz and the 5GHz radios. (I know they can be different SSID, but my ISP said to use the same for both.)  Is there any way to get the Stick+ to prefer 5 GHz?

No, there isn't (some devices have such user-configurable band-preferring functionality, Roku isnt one of them).

Regardless, your ISPs "advice" is ill-advised - you should give each band its own SSID, preferably with an indicator of the band usage in the name so that you can easily and clearly know which band your devices are connected to, can allocate different devices/device types to one band or the other, and there wont be any stealth band-switching etc.

patricka02
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Thank you. I checked the router that came with the AT&T Fiber service and both 5 GHz radio channels are in this DFS range.  However, it doesn't appear that the 5 GHz radio channels can be set manually.  In other words, the 2.4 GHz ban can be set manually, but the 5 GHZ band is only automatic. (I'm going to double confirm with AT&T.). Is there another option to use something link MAC filtering to prevent the stick+ from connecting to the 2.4 GHz band and in this way force the stick+ to negotiate with the router to find a mutually agreeable channel in the 5 GHz band? (I’m not familiar enough with the 802.11ac spec to know how this negotiation takes place.)

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Very odd that the 5Ghz band is automatic only.

And yes, as long as it sits in the DFS channels your Roku wont be able to connect to it (nor will separating the SSIDs make any difference for your Roku, but that is still advised)

The best solution is to separate the SSIDs, and either disable DFS channel usage or manually assign the channel.

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

I'd be shocked if you couldn't manually assign the channel used. Since it's assigning a DFS channel, that explains why it can't be seen. No, there's no method to force the router to use a specific channel. The device connecting has no authority to make any such changes to the router, and you wouldn't want it to have such authority. You'll need to find a way to change the channel in use manually. And I know of no way to force a connection to only use 5 GHz without using different SSIDs for 2.4 and 5 GHz. I have all my access points configured with different SSIDs. 

Dan

0 Kudos
renojim

Jump to solution

What's the model number of your AT&T router?  I just got AT&T fiber and I'm fairly certain I can set the 5GHz channel, but I'll double check.  The first thing I did was separate the 2.4 and 5GHz SSIDs and I got an email from AT&T saying I was using a configuration that wasn't recommended.  It's none of their business!  It really bugs me that AT&T is monitoring my network configuration.  I don't use their mandated router other than to connect my OpenWRT router and it really, really bugs me that I have to pay for their **bleep**.  I thought the days of forced equipment rentals were over.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
patricka02
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Thanks for the responses.  I posted something on the AT&T Community site, but no responses yet.

I have a Nokia BGW320-505 router and under the Advanced Wifi settings, they have the following for the 2.4 GHZ setup.  This same option to change from Automatic to Manual does not exist under the 5 GHz band.

2.4.png

0 Kudos