Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Well-doh
Reel Rookie

Connecting express 4k to range extender (Wired - ethernet)

Jump to solution

This is more of a lesson learned when hard wiring (ethernet cable) a 4k express to a range extender:

Short version -

If you can't connect via ethernet-to-adapter-to-4k, try flipping (swapping) the ethernet cable connections from the extender to the adapter.

Long winded version -

Have two rooms each with their own range extender.  Had a 4k express in each room.  Both units were connected via wireless to their respective range extender.  Wanted to hard wire the units to avoid drop outs or failure to connect wirelessly.  Bought a cheapie powered ethernet to micro-usb adapter off Amazon, not the one's suggested by Roku, I'm talking real cheap, like $7.95 cheap, and the cheapest cat6 cables they had.  In room No. 1  connected the pwr usb to a TV usb port, connected the micro-usb to the 4k express unit, ran the cat6 cable to the adapter and range extender.  Turned TV on and switched to Roku input, checked the network and the Roku 4k automatically detected the connection to the range extender ... success!!  On to room No. 2

Repeated the exact same setup as room No. 1 in room No. 2 (Same brand of adapter, cable, and range extender) and nothing.  The 4k showed it found a network but no internet.  I tried repeated power cycles, restarting the 4k, plug and unplug ever combination of usb, ethernet, pwr usb cables, everything I could think of.  Then, just out of spite, I switched the cat6 connection from extender to the adapter and then as if the gods of fortune smiled in my direction the room 2 4k fully connected.  

I have no idea why or how it worked as the cat6 cable really shouldn't care what direction it's connected, but it did and it does.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Connecting express 4k to range extender (Wired - ethernet)

Jump to solution

@Well-doh wrote:

I have no idea why or how it worked as the cat6 cable really shouldn't care what direction it's connected, but it did and it does.

A correctly wired Ethernet cable doesn't matter which end in plugged into what device. A Gigabit connection uses all 8 wires within the Ethernet cable. Fast Ethernet (which is all Roku devices support) only uses four of the wires. If for some inexplicable reason a wire was crossed in the connection, it's possible, maybe, that swapping the ends made a difference. For the life of me, I can't think of any way it would happen, but I'm not going to flat out say it 100%. 

No idea what speed the USB Ethernet adapter is you bought, but for that price I doubt it's Gigabit. Bottom line: it's working, so I wouldn't sweat it too much. But if you start having connectivity problems with that device, you might try a different Ethernet cable.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@Well-doh 

For most ethernet cables (standard/straight through), you are correct regarding transfer direction.  

Crossover ethernet cables have their wires crossed.  Numbers 1 and 3, and numbers 2 and 6.  Normally there are markings on the cable indicating it is a crossover cable.  Otherwise you need to line up the two ends and see if the same color wires exist in each slot or are crossed.

Depending on the devices being connected, it may not matter which cable you use.  However, in most cases, using a crossover cable may simply not work at all.  General rule is to just use standard cables as the need for crossover cables are few for newer devices. (perhaps if using older network switches and the like.)

----

Now, for some inexplicable reason, it often works dealing with ethernet cables to just flip them around like you did and it will miraculously make a non-working device begin to work again.  You will likely be able to flip your existing cable at a later date and it will again work in room #2.  (assuming that it is a standard cable, and not a crossover cable.)

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@Well-doh wrote:

A correctly wired Ethernet cable doesn't matter which end in plugged into what device. A Gigabit connection uses all 8 wires within the Ethernet cable. Fast Ethernet (which is all Roku devices support) only uses four of the wires. If for some inexplicable reason a wire was crossed in the connection, it's possible, maybe, that swapping the ends made a difference. For the life of me, I can't think of any way it would happen, but I'm not going to flat out say it 100%. 

No idea what speed the USB Ethernet adapter is you bought, but for that price I doubt it's Gigabit. Bottom line: it's working, so I wouldn't sweat it too much. But if you start having connectivity problems with that device, you might try a different Ethernet cable.

Dan

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos