Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Connecting ROKU TV to new network

I want to set up connection to my Roku tv using my new wifi connection however I cannot access it. I do not own a physical remote so I use my phone and the issue is while my phone is connected to the new wifi the TV isn't. Therefore my phone remote cannot even change anything since they are not connected to the same network. How can I set up a new wifi connection when I do not have a physical remote and the app remote cannot help.

1 Reply
Highlighted
Level 21

Re: Connecting ROKU TV to new network

You will have to have a physical remote. However, it doesn't have to be a Roku brand remote. All Roku TVs support an IR remote, and universal IR remotes can be found in many local stores for under $20. Just make sure they list Roku as a supported device.

I've also found my Vizio TV remote will control my Sharp Roku TV, although I have no idea if that's specific to the Sharp or applicable to all Roku TVs. If you do find a remote on hand that works, you'll likely have to play with the buttons to see which does what. Smiley Happy

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos