Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LindaMMiller
Level 7

Connected to network but unable to view anything

I have connected to my wireless network at home but when I try to connect to Netflix or Hulu I get a network error message to check my network connection.  I have had this Roku stick for quite a few years and have not had this problem before.  I did a factory reset on the stick to see if that would correct the issue.  Now, I can't get past the screen for software update to even get to the screen to pick my channels.  I am getting the error code 003 when I try to update the software.  Does anyone have any suggestions on how to correct this problem?  As I said, I have the wireless connection but it's as if the Roku doesn't recognize the connection.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
atc98092
Level 16

Re: Connected to network but unable to view anything

What model Stick do you have? The first ones are getting pretty old, and maybe it's just died on you. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
LindaMMiller
Level 7

I have the Roku Streaming Stick, it is the purple one.  I purchased it in April 2016.  I would hope that it is not "getting pretty old" at this point.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

@LindaMMiller wrote:

I have the Roku Streaming Stick, it is the purple one.  I purchased it in April 2016.  I would hope that it is not "getting pretty old" at this point.

That is the model 3500, and yes it is on the old side for the Sticks. In fact, it's the very first HDMI stick they sold, as the 3400 was MHL only. You may have purchased it in 2016, but it was released in March of 2014. I have the 3600, which was the generation after yours, and I only use it for traveling. It's not powerful enough (for me) for home use. And mine is about 50% more powerful than yours.

Hate to say it, but it's possible yours has had a hardware failure in the WiFi module. Right now the Premiere is on sale for $30, and it even offers 4K/HDR. It only comes with the simple IR remote, but if you need a WiFi Direct remote it does support it. Or for $50 you can buy the latest Stick+, which comes with the WiFi Direct remote and offers better wireless connectivity (according to Roku). 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

@LindaMMiller  Thanks for letting us know what you're seeing. There are a couple things to try here to see if you might be experiencing an issue with your device's hardware: 

1. Unplug your both your Roku device and wireless router/modem from power for a couple minutes and then plug them back in to fully reboot your network. 

2. Try connecting your Streaming Stick to a different wireless network, such as a mobile hotspot from your phone, or a friend/family member's wireless network. Does the same issue occur? 

If connecting your Streaming Stick to a different network is successful and you don't encounter the same issues, please reply back with the make/model of your wireless router so we can help take a closer look.

Let us know what you discover from there!

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos