Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
degrange1
Level 7

Connect to WiFi without a remote

I changed the WiFi password and now can’t connect my Roku stick to it because I can’t find the remote.  I have the remote app and have an iPhone.  

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DBDukes
Level 16

Re: Connect to WiFi without a remote

The mobile app is only useful after you connect. You need a remote to connect.

Which device do you have?

If it's a Stick (or Stick+) you'll need a WiFi direct remote. You can probably get one from your nearest Walmart, Target, or Best Buy.

If it's an Express, Premiere, or Ultra line -- a standard set top box -- then any cheap universal IR remote will likely work. You can find those as cheap as $5 from Family Dollar, Walmart, etc. Just ensure the packaging says it works with Roku. Again IR remotes are not for Stick/Stick+ models, just for boxes.

DBDukes
https://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Streambar (9102)
Roku Streaming Stick+ (3810)
0 Kudos
degrange1
Level 7

Thanks so much for the reply and advice.  I have the Roku stick.  I do have a Roku remote for my other Roku stick in my family room.  Is there a way to reprogram it to link with the Roku stick in my bedroom (this is the one that is not currently connected to the Wifi and without a remote)?

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

It depends on the model number of the Stick. If you have the 3500 (purple case), only a remote for the same exact model will work. If they are both newer model Stick players (black case), then you should be able to link your existing remote to it. Use the Link button under the battery cover. This page might help you get it paired. 

Dan
Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.