Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anomadeus
Level 8

Circumvent Internet Connection Check?

Hello,

I am an owner of at least 5 Roku's, one being a TCL Series 6 TV.

I recently bought a property for a good price and It happens that there is no internet available to this property. The only internet I can get is a Jetpack thru Verizon wireless. I have tried steaming thru this service and they put a script on my account after watching only two SD shows to prevent "extended" streaming. All other providers are full, out of signal range or quoted me 66k to run fiber to my house.

I am trying to connect my Roku or Roku's to a local wireless network that would allow for a media center (Emby) to stream files to the Roku's as players. However, every time I try to connect to the wireless network the Roku's always checks for internet connection and then fail to connect.

I have tried the following workarounds:

1. Disabling network ping, then connecting to the internet for setup and then disconnection internet. The Roku immediately drops the connection and will not reconnect or stay connected.

2. Using a network bridge thru the wireless network with internet to get past setup. After disconnecting internet the Roku immediately drops the connection and will not connect.

3. Enabling ICS on the connection after setup. After disconnecting internet the Roku immediately drops the connection and will not connect.

None of anything I found works. Has anyone gotten thru something like this? If so, How?

I also find it hard to believe that Roku wouldn't have already added a control to shut this off...

Can anyone please help? Thanks in advance.

4 Replies
Anomadeus
Level 8

Re: Circumvent Internet Connection Check?

No one can help me?..

0 Kudos
lesmikesell
Level 13

The solution could range from difficult to impossible.  If that 'network bridge' you mentioned has logging and firewall capability you might be able to find and allow the traffic that the roku needs to establish that it's network is connected but block everything else.  But it roku streaming content comes from the same place it might be hard to distinguish which is which.

0 Kudos
Anomadeus
Level 8

How could it be difficult or impossible? All that really needs to be done is someone gives me the response data and I set it up on my local network. You know API... I shouldn't be troubleshooting this, I'm the consumer. It's been requested more then a few times now and Its not hard to make an offline option when it's connecting.

I am now seriously considering dumping my stock in Roku and riding myself of these units. It's not the only streamer in town anymore and it cant look good for Roku apps partners to be turning away users with pretty simple issues. Especially loyal ones...

0 Kudos
lesmikesell
Level 13

If you know how to fake the response you should also be able to see what it needs using wireshark or a similar network analyzer.  It's probably not static since you need to update the time and maybe check for updates.   Roku probably makes their money on the ads displayed and paid content so they aren't likely to help anyone bypass that.  If you want something you can completely control yourself you could use raspberry pi's running kodi or plex.

0 Kudos