Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Casting from Google Chrome or Microsoft Edge browsers to Roku TV

Jump to solution

I can't cast from Google Chrome or Microsoft Edge browsers. It starts up and gives the "Loading" page on the TV screen but never completes the connection.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 19

Re: Casting from Google Chrome or Microsoft Edge browsers to Roku TV

Jump to solution

Hi there, 

Thanks for reaching out! Roku devices support the use of screen mirroring from Android and Windows devices. You can see more about this feature here: https://support.roku.com/article/208754928-how-do-i-use-screen-mirroring-with-my-android-or-windows-...

If you are trying to use Google's proprietary casting protocol (such as Chromecast), this would not be supported. 

Thanks,

Tanner

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
19 Replies
Highlighted
Level 7

Why can I not cast a tab from Chrome on my PC / Laptop

Jump to solution

Google Chrome has a feature for casting ust a tab?  I can use it with my Chromecast, my Play Station, and even my Samsung TV.  However, while the Roku does show up on the list, it says source not supported.

It works if the tab is Youtube, but not (for example) NHL.com.  Again, it does work on other devices, ust not the Roku.

TYIA,

Lefty

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

Jump to solution

Hi there, 

Thanks for reaching out! Roku devices support the use of screen mirroring from Android and Windows devices. You can see more about this feature here: https://support.roku.com/article/208754928-how-do-i-use-screen-mirroring-with-my-android-or-windows-...

If you are trying to use Google's proprietary casting protocol (such as Chromecast), this would not be supported. 

Thanks,

Tanner

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Why can I not cast a tab from Chrome on my PC / Laptop

Jump to solution

Indeed, I have the same problem, casting from Google chrome is possible if the site you visite is Youtube, but nothing else... very strange. When I first used the device, in september 2019, I was able to cast, not only screen mirroring from my android device, that's suddenly also not possible anymore... this device is not what I hoped it woud be... 

Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Why can I not cast a tab from Chrome on my PC / Laptop

Jump to solution

Same problem and it's been starting to make me mad. (like crazy mad) When I first got my new Samsung everything was fine - then after a few weeks everything started going wonky. I can still cast through youtube (sometimes) but I have to go through all these steps that I really don't even know what I"m doing. I've updated all my drivers, made sure miracast is enabled on my PC (windows 10) yet still nothing. I really don't want to do a factory reinstall but it seems that may be my only option. I've even tried using smartcast on my phone but it doesn't recognize my TV -This is seriously annoying as since everyone is locked down in their houses right now it's all we really have to communicate with the outside world and have entertainment. I also used to be able to download a movie then cast it directly to my TV - not anymore. I have to put it on a dongle and climb up on a freaking ladder to put it into the USB port (TV is mounted very high and the ports are in a very unitarian place. Any advice at all??? And yes I have all made sure windows media player allows streaming. TIA. Tess

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Same problem here.. A few months ago it did work (casting from Chrome on my mac to the roku)... then suddenly it gave the error "source not supported".. How can I solve this? As long as this feature isn't operative, my roku is useless... I'm wondering why it used and now not anymore...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I called saumsung support and they told me to unplug the TV from the wall while the TV was on - left it out for about 5 minutes, then plugged it back in restarted my computer and it worked.... but now.. it's down yet again!!!! This is obviously an issue that many people have.. is it an adroid thing? I have an iphone and it seems my samsung wants me to connect with android not an iphone.. that should NOT be a thing. So frustrating.. meanwhile I'm back to climbing on my ladder if I want to watch a movie or show I've downloaded to stick it in with my freaking dongle. Bad engineering that the dongle thingie's are in the middle of the back (middle) of the TV. All my other TV's they were on the side. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Instead of a ladder, why don't you get an extention cable for your usb or hdmi port?

Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I don't see this as working. I think that Chrome decided simply to pull out the Roku support for their own Chomecast tab protocol. It worked until it didn't some time at the end of last year. They want you to use Chromecast dongle, not the Roku.

IE now supports the mirroring as does selected media - such as Youtube

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12

Jump to solution

You can send content from your phone to the tv with the roku app.   If you have it on a computer you can install the plex server and use the plex app on the roku tv to play video/photo/music.

0 Kudos