Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lazy8
Level 7

Casting From Windows 10 Requires that VPN be Disconnected (Disabled)

When casting from Windows 10, your VPN must be disabled (disconnected).

I'm very disappointed about this, but it's the only way that I could get casting to my Roku device.

If there is a work around to this, I'd like to know.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
renojim
Level 21

Re: Casting From Windows 10 Requires that VPN be Disconnected (Disabled)

I would think this is more a Windows 10 and/or VPN issue than a Roku issue.  I'd research that angle.

0 Kudos
Lazy8
Level 7

renojim,

Thanks for the reply.

I did look into this, and the best proposed solution is to create a hotspot on my Windows machine (very easy to do), and then connect my Roku to that PC (also very easy to do).  In theory, by doing this I could keep my VPN and project a display onto the TV via Roku.

I was able to create the hotspot, and connect Roku through that hotspot, both easily verifiable.  But projecting (casting) using this method fails every time.  It's supposed to work, but it simply doesn't.

There are other alternatives, like installing a VPN to my router, but I don't want to risk corrupting my routers firmware.

Thanks again!

0 Kudos
Lazy8
Level 7

Let me add that I'm watching the Roku channel using my PC's hotspot connection, so the hotspot works for Roku.  But again, I can't cast from my PC to the Roku device.

I wonder if anyone has succeeded casting from Linux to Roku?

0 Kudos