Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rack55
Level 7

Cast Netflix to Roku without wifi

I have a Roku TV that I am moving to my RV and need advice on how to use it without access to wifi. 
Specifically, I would like to download movies on Netflix on my iphone, and cast them to the TV. 
However, without wifi, I’m not sure how. I have searched and found adapters to hook the iPhone into an HDMI port on the tv but most say that they don’t support Netflix. Or setting up a hotspot on one phone and connecting another phone and the TV to the hotspot, which seems cumbersome and also I don’t know if that would even work where there is no cell service. 
Has anyone done this before or have any ideas on what I can do?

thanks!!

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4\
StreamerUser
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Cast Netflix to Roku without wifi

Normally you'd simply using AirPlay2 casting/mirroring with NF to accomplish this (assuming your Roku TV had AirPlay2 support - you didnt mention the model # or firmware version:  Settings/System/About).

However, NF removed AirPlay2 support a couple years ago:

https://help.netflix.com/en/node/49

However, there is another method to mirror your NF downloaded movies to your Roku:  Miracast

Apple devices dont natively support Miracast, but there are apps you can download to give you this functionality.  Try out any of the Screen Mirroring apps that specifically mention Miracast and find one that works/meets your needs, such as AirBeam:

https://www.airbeam.tv/mirror-iphone-ipad-screen/roku/

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/mirror-for-roku/id1249399133?ls=1&mt=

StreamerUser
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Rack55
Level 7

Thank you very much for the info! I have another non-smart tv that I hook up a Roku express to. Would I be able to use miracast to cast to this also? I’m assuming since I would not have a wifi connection that it wouldn’t work the same. 

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Community Streaming Expert

All Roku devices are Miracast-enabled and most recent-year models are AirPLay2-enabled by default.

Since Miracast uses WiFi Direct which is a P2P (Peer-to-Peer) protocol, no WiFi AP/infrastructure connection is needed (neither the phone nor the Roku need to be connected to a network in order to use Miracast-based screen mirroring).

The big question is will NF allow Miracast'ing from it (using a third party app) on an Apple device (since they disabled AirPlay2 casting/mirroring support), and I've seen conflicting information about that (I dont have any Apple products to test with).  The only way to know for sure is to try it.

StreamerUser
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Rack55
Level 7

Well, miracasting allowed me to screen mirror but Netflix is blocked. 
I tried using an old router to set up a wifi home network without internet, which also did not work. 
I will try the adapter cable but most that I’ve found say they cannot play Netflix. What a pain.

0 Kudos