Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bryzhen51
Level 7

Cannot get Hotel or Dorm Option

I have purchased a Roku Express for my father in an assisted care living home, so that he may access more MLB ballgames, Golf Channel, and other offerings not available on the home's Direct TV package.  It works well using the local home wifi system.  However, although this is similar in use to a hotel or dorm setting, the setup does not provide the option for "hotel or dorm".  Then, when he tries to connect to Fox Sports and other apps, it requires the home's provider username and password, which is not available to him from the home for their own security reasons.  How does he get the "hotel or dorm" option?  Or any other recommendation on accessing other apps?
Bryzhen51

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
atc98092
Level 13

Re: Cannot get Hotel or Dorm Option

"Bryzhen51" wrote:
I have purchased a Roku Express for my father in an assisted care living home, so that he may access more MLB ballgames, Golf Channel, and other offerings not available on the home's Direct TV package.  It works well using the local home wifi system.  However, although this is similar in use to a hotel or dorm setting, the setup does not provide the option for "hotel or dorm".  Then, when he tries to connect to Fox Sports and other apps, it requires the home's provider username and password, which is not available to him from the home for their own security reasons.  How does he get the "hotel or dorm" option?  Or any other recommendation on accessing other apps?
Bryzhen51

The hotel/dorm connect has nothing to do with that. It's only for connecting to WiFi that requires using an authentication screen. Channels such as you are mentioning require an account to use. Usually it means your Internet access is through a cable company that offers channel subscriptions. There are some channels that allow you to subscribe without a cable/satellite subscription, but I don't know specifically what ones do. Another option is to subscribe to Sling TV, which has a number of cable channels available, including some sports stations. But you'd have to check their web site to see if their channel selection provides what you're looking for. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Chicken
Level 7

Re: Cannot get Hotel or Dorm Option

The hotel/dorm option isn't user selectable unless the ROKU is required by the network to provide a specific login handshake, then the hotel/dorm option will appear requesting user name and password before the Roku is allowed to connect to the LAN.  It sounds like the Roku is already connected to the LAN, the other user name and passwords are content provider channel required login info?  These details as noted, might need to be provided by the internet service provider company or the facility IT personnel may have the info..
0 Kudos