Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Petergl
Level 7

Cannot find wifi even after factory reset

Roku stopped being able to find our wifi a few wks ago, after an ISP outage, which was fixed within a few hours. All other devices connect to wifi no problem, but my Roku Express, which was bought new in April 2020, now cannot find the wifi at all. A few other networks are displayed in setup, BUT the signal strength is only 1 bar. Suspect all wifi detection has failed. After weeks of troubleshooting to no avail (of course tried resetting and rebooting the Roku and the router and modem many times, etc) finally did a factory reset today. Still didn't fix the problem, and moreover since the Roku was reset and can't find a wifi, I can't even set up the Roku at all (setup stops after it can't find wifi). HELP!!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Petergl
Level 7

Re: Cannot find wifi even after factory reset

Update:

Managed to connect and set up using a wifi hotspot from my phone. Hotspot wifi was found by Roku no problem, and completed setup, adding back all my channels etc. The Roku STILL can't find the wifi from our router however, neither the 5 nor 2.4 GHz. So odd. Anyone have any ideas? 

0 Kudos
renojim
Level 21

Keep in mind that many models are single-band and only work on 2.4GHz and only channels 1 to 11.  There's also an issue with routers using open source firmware like OpenWRT or DD-WRT.

0 Kudos
Petergl
Level 7

Thank you. 

Any idea why it would have been working fine for months and then suddenly stop working with exactly the same router, after a brief outage?

I'll check the 2.4 Ghz router channel, but no reason why that would have changed. If not, any ideas?

0 Kudos
cecelia67
Level 7

Having similar problems with newly purchased Roku Ultra.  Cannot connect to my wireless network.  Have tried all troubleshooting.  I have an older Roku Ultra that was so easy to set up with no problems.  Looks like many people having same problem.  Where is the online Roku person to answer our problems?? 

0 Kudos
cecelia67
Level 7

I have tried connecting to both lower and upper  channels.  No luck connecting to my wireless network which is a strong network.

0 Kudos