Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CableBoy
Level 7

Can you change ROKU3 wifi channel?

Can someone explain how this is working?

My wireless router is transmitting on channel 1, but it looks like the ROKU3 is also acting as a wireless router also. And it is also transmitting on channel 1. Can the roku3 wifi channel be changed? It looks like I can turn the ROKU3 wifi channel off by disabling the Device connect function under advanced system settings. With two router like devices transmitting on the same channel, they are walking on top of each other.

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
23 Replies
trekkeriii
Level 10

Re: Can you change ROKU3 wifi channel?

No, because Roku 3 has only one radio, so you can't have it using one Frequency for Wi-Fi and another for Wi-Fi Direct.
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert
0 Kudos
dgrace
Level 7

You can change the channel of your router and the roku will follow. That won't change the behaior you're seeing though.
"I might be moving to Montana soon..."
FZ
0 Kudos
vnazario
Level 8

"CableBoy" wrote:
Can someone explain how this is working?

My wireless router is transmitting on channel 1, but it looks like the ROKU3 is also acting as a wireless router also. And it is also transmitting on channel 1. Can the roku3 wifi channel be changed? It looks like I can turn the ROKU3 wifi channel off by disabling the Device connect function under advanced system settings. With two router like devices transmitting on the same channel, they are walking on top of each other.

Hello:

You can't really change channels on the Roku but you certainly can change the wireless channels on your Router if this is your problem. Make sure you can access the menu system of your Router. Typically you open a browser and type in your gateway IP address (ie 192.168.1.1) and enter pre-set ID and password. If your router is supplied by your ISP you may need to call them for assistance. If store bought then Google your routers make/model and search for "default ID and password" and use those first. Sometimes this information is on a label underneath your router.

Hope this information helps.
vnazario

2xRoku2 XS,Roku1+SE,Logitech Revue GoogleTV,Raspberry Pi+XBMC,Mac Mini+EyeTV DVR+RabbitTV+PLEX+Kodi,TiVo Premiere,Sony BluRay+streaming apps,Equiso Android TV,FireTV,Nexus player,Simple.TV Local TV:QAM from ISP coax line. PLEX+unsupported apps
0 Kudos
CableBoy
Level 7

Ok. That is what I did. I changed the channel on my router to 11 and the ROKU3 stayed on channel 1.

This change seamed to improve the performance on my wireless pc and tablet.

I am using a application on my phone called "Wifi Analyzer". This lists all the wifi transmitters in the area and the channels they are using. I used to use channel #1 for my router because nobody in my area was using that one. But 6 and 11 were pretty full. Now my router is on 11 and ROKU3 is on channel 1. I would really like it reversed. I don't really know what the ROKU3 is doing with wifi as it is hard wired to the router. And the ROKU3 is on the best channel in my area and my router is on a busy one. I would like to switch that but I don't know how.
0 Kudos
trekkeriii
Level 10

"CableBoy" wrote:
I don't really know what the ROKU3 is doing with wifi as it is hard wired to the router.

Wi-Fi Direct (basically the Wi-Fi equivalent to bluetooth) . It's how the Remote connects to the Roku, as well as allows for Screen Mirroring, and then the Dorm/Hotel Connection feature. If you are using none of these, then you can turn it off.
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert
0 Kudos
CableBoy
Level 7

"trekkeriii" wrote:
"CableBoy" wrote:
I don't really know what the ROKU3 is doing with wifi as it is hard wired to the router.

Wi-Fi Direct (basically the Wi-Fi equivalent to bluetooth) . It's how the Remote connects to the Roku, as well as allows for Screen Mirroring, and then the Dorm/Hotel Connection feature. If you are using none of these, then you can turn it off.

Well of course I use the remote. I am not using the other features.
0 Kudos
CableBoy
Level 7

I got it...

I forced the ROKU3 to switch to channel 11 by telling it I want to connect using the wifi on channel 11. So the ROKU switched to channel 11. Now I can move my router back to 1 and tell the roku3 I am hard wired. Perfect. Its just a screwy way around it.

Thanks everyone.
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

"CableBoy" wrote:
I got it...

I forced the ROKU3 to switch to channel 11 by telling it I want to connect using the wifi on channel 11. So the ROKU switched to channel 11. Now I can move my router back to 1 and tell the roku3 I am hard wired. Perfect. Its just a screwy way around it.

Thanks everyone.

You may want to reboot your Roku and see if that setting sticks. That will test what happens after a power outage. Which will happen. Then you'll know if you have a full workaround, or a temporary workaround to reapply after every power outage/reboot.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
CableBoy
Level 7

"Basil" wrote:
You may want to reboot your Roku and see if that setting sticks. That will test what happens after a power outage. Which will happen. Then you'll know if you have a full workaround, or a temporary workaround to reapply after every power outage/reboot.

Good idea.. Oh no, it moved back to channel 1. Back to the drawing board.
0 Kudos