Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't stream channel content

I have two Roku streaming devices -- a Roku 3 (SN 4E654E043493) connected to a Sony XRB-64X810C TV, and a Roku Express (sn C337A593040) connected to a Sharp LC-40E67U TV. We are connected to the internet with an AT&T U-Verse NVG599 router, and we were using an old Apple Airport base station for our wireless. Everything worked fine. We noticed that out wi-fi connect was weakening (assume a combo of older Airport and increasing number of wi-fi networks in the area), so I replaced the Airport with a new NetGear Orbi high performance Wi-Fi. It was set up to use the same network name/password.

After the switch, I could still open any Roku channel on either device, but if I tried to actually stream some show I would get a loading circle of death then a notice of failure to load. This occurred on three channels that I tested -- Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime. I could still, however, stream from all of these sources on my lap top. If I unplugged the Orbi and re-installed the Airport, everything was fine again. 

With the Orbi installed, I've tried reconnecting and checking the network connection on the Roku, rebooting the AT&T router, rebooting the wi-fi, restarting the Roku, factory resetting the Roku, all to no avail. All of the other devices connected to the wi-fi are experiencing no issues. Any suggestions?

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
CParker
Level 7

Re: Can't stream channel content

Have you checked to make sure all devices are on the same network? The Orbi may default to a different subnet than the AirPort.
And if your devices are using DHCP, which device is handing out IP addresses? 
Chief Technology Officer, Barge Captain/mechanic/deckhand/dock hand, Cook, Lawn care and vehicle maintenance.
Yep.... I'm retired. :D
0 Kudos

I have noticed that the IP addresses for the Roku devices (as shown in the Roku setting/network) are definitely different when I swap between Airport and Orbi. With Orbi I'm getting things like 10.0.0.2, and with the Airport I'm getting ones that look more like external IP addresses. But I didn't think that it was significant because the Roku is definitely connecting to the channels (I'm seeing previews in Netflix). Oh, and I was successfully able to update the apps on the Roku with the Orbi active. I don't know which device assigns the IP addresses. When I look at the Orbi app, I see that all devices (phones, laptops, thermostats, Roku, etc., have IP addresses in the range 10.0.0.2 -- 10.0.0.12.
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

@mentalwasteland 

Is the same behavior occurring on both of your Roku devices? Have you tried changing the wireless broadcast channel on your network manually? 

The Roku 3 and Roku Express differ in that the Roku 3 is compatible with both 5GHz and 2.4GHz networks, while the Express is only 2.4GHz compatible. Depending on your network configuration and home network environment, this could affect performance on one device, but not both. 

Feel free to PM me with more specific details, including your Roku account email address and I'll see what other suggestions I can help with. 

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos

Okay, I fixed it by setting the wifi to not use automatically generated IP addresses, instead use 8.8.8.8 for the primary and 8.8.4.4 for the satellite. This was based on advice from Netgear tech support. Nothing like this mentioned anywhere in the Netgear or Roku support pages that I could find.
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Sounds like they had you modify your DNS settings to use Google DNS. Glad to hear that did the trick for you. 

Keep us posted if you need any further help!

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
kasautimay
Level 7

"mentalwasteland" wrote:
I have two Roku streaming devices -- a Roku 3 (SN 4E654E043493) connected to a Sony XRB-64X810C TV, and a Roku Express (sn C337A593040) connected to a Sharp LC-40E67U TV. We are connected to the internet with an AT&T U-Verse NVG599 router, and we were using an old Apple Airport base station for our wireless. Everything worked fine. We noticed that out wi-fi connect was weakening (assume a combo of older Airport and increasing number of wi-fi networks in the area), so I replaced the Airport with a new NetGear Orbi high performance Wi-Fi. It was set up to use the same network name/password.

After the switch, I could still open any Roku channel on either device, but if I tried to actually stream some show I would get a loading circle of death then a notice of failure to load. This occurred on three channels that I tested -- Netflix, Hulu, wow pinoy tv and Amazon Prime. I could still, however, stream from all of these sources on my lap top. If I unplugged the Orbi and re-installed the Airport, everything was fine again. 

With the Orbi installed, I've tried reconnecting and checking the network connection on the Roku, rebooting the AT&T router, rebooting the wi-fi, restarting the Roku, factory resetting the Roku, all to no avail. All of the other devices connected to the wi-fi are experiencing no issues. Any suggestions?

Also facing this issue sometime but now this will be resolved. 
0 Kudos