Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MJDay
Level 7

Can’t steam pc library over WiFi anymore

Jump to solution

For years I’ve steamed movies from my windows 10 library with the Roku Media Player over WiFi. I have 2 sticks, 2 Roku TVs, and an Ultra, all of a sudden a couple months ago none of the devices will stream from the Library anymore. All streaming options are on and allowed on the windows 10 PC. I can still navigate into the library and see all my media but after I choose a movie to stream, it will timeout while trying to retrieve it. I can run an Ethernet cable to the ultra and it works fine just like it always did, so it is something with just the WiFi. I can also stream the same library fine on a laptop or any other device over WiFi. It’s like the Roku is blocking or stopping that stream over WiFi. Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Can’t steam pc library over WiFi anymore

Jump to solution

I am assuming you are referring to the Windows Media Streaming function that offers basic DLNA media streaming functionality. I'm actually surprised it worked for you so long. The Microsoft DLNA server implementation is limited at best. Microsoft also has a habit of breaking DLNA connectivity with new releases, usually because of changes to the firewall.

However, your case is interesting, since it works via Ethernet but not over WiFi. It's particularly strange that it is showing you the media, but just not streaming via WiFi. Normally I'd say that can't happen, but it obviously is for you.

If you have a little time to experiment, I suggest downloading a free version of one of the available DLNA servers available for Windows and see if the issue still exists. My first suggestion is Serviio (www.serviio.org). Disclaimer: I don't work for Serviio, but I did write the transcoding profiles it uses for Roku devices. Install Serviio, select a storage location it uses to share the media, then select the best profile for your Roku player. Don't use the default that Serviio selects, as it's designed for the oldest, less capable players.

If it now works over WiFi, then Microsoft did something to their server software. Honestly, that's the only thing I can really think of, as the Roku doesn't care at all how it receives the data (wired or wireless). It just needs it fast enough to support the stream.

And that is the only other possible problem area: your WiFi. Perhaps there is some interference that is localized enough that the Roku player is the only one noticeably impacted. Perhaps you could try changing the channel your router uses for WiFi, and if you have 5 GHz available use that first. There's nothing within the Roku that would cause this. I use Roku Media Player every day, some wired and some wireless devices. I've never encountered any issue with playback, other than Roku devices can't stream a UHD movie rip over Ethernet because the bitrate is too high. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3\
atc98092

Jump to solution

I am assuming you are referring to the Windows Media Streaming function that offers basic DLNA media streaming functionality. I'm actually surprised it worked for you so long. The Microsoft DLNA server implementation is limited at best. Microsoft also has a habit of breaking DLNA connectivity with new releases, usually because of changes to the firewall.

However, your case is interesting, since it works via Ethernet but not over WiFi. It's particularly strange that it is showing you the media, but just not streaming via WiFi. Normally I'd say that can't happen, but it obviously is for you.

If you have a little time to experiment, I suggest downloading a free version of one of the available DLNA servers available for Windows and see if the issue still exists. My first suggestion is Serviio (www.serviio.org). Disclaimer: I don't work for Serviio, but I did write the transcoding profiles it uses for Roku devices. Install Serviio, select a storage location it uses to share the media, then select the best profile for your Roku player. Don't use the default that Serviio selects, as it's designed for the oldest, less capable players.

If it now works over WiFi, then Microsoft did something to their server software. Honestly, that's the only thing I can really think of, as the Roku doesn't care at all how it receives the data (wired or wireless). It just needs it fast enough to support the stream.

And that is the only other possible problem area: your WiFi. Perhaps there is some interference that is localized enough that the Roku player is the only one noticeably impacted. Perhaps you could try changing the channel your router uses for WiFi, and if you have 5 GHz available use that first. There's nothing within the Roku that would cause this. I use Roku Media Player every day, some wired and some wireless devices. I've never encountered any issue with playback, other than Roku devices can't stream a UHD movie rip over Ethernet because the bitrate is too high. 

Dan

View solution in original post

MJDay
Level 7

Jump to solution

Great job, you nailed it. I downloaded Serviio and just tried a stream and it worked perfect, so it was a Microsoft issue. Thanks again 

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@MJDay wrote:

Great job, you nailed it. I downloaded Serviio and just tried a stream and it worked perfect, so it was a Microsoft issue. Thanks again 

Just make sure you change the profile for your Roku player in the Serviio console, on the status page. I don't know exactly which player you have, but unless it's over 4 years old you should select either the 1080 or 4K player 2016+. 

Glad it resolved the problem! Smiley Happy

Dan

0 Kudos