Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
confiarus
Reel Rookie

Can't disable ROKU wifi signal

I have a ROKU Ultra and its connected to the internet by ethernet cable. Works great.  I turned off the wifi, but, the wifi signal is still transmitting as determined by my phone's wifi detection app.  Is there some way to completely disable the wifi in the ROKU from transmitting?  Long story, but, we're working with some sensitive electronic equipment in adjacent room and trying to find a quick way to turn this wifi off.

37 REPLIES 37
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Re: Can't disable ROKU wifi signal

No.

How are you accessing your Ultra?  It comes with a WiFi Direct Voice Remote, so any time you use the remote to control the Ultra it is using WiFi.

You can use an IR-only remote, disable Device Connect (Settings/System/Advanced system settings) and take the batteries out of the Roku remote, but even then WiFi will still be active.

If you're concerned about nearby WiFi-sensitive equipment, shouldn't you have researched this before you bought the Ultra (or any other network/internet enabled consumer electronics?)

0 Kudos
confiarus
Reel Rookie

The reason I bought the ULTRA is because it has an ethernet port.  I connect to the ULTRA with an ethernet cable.  When the remote is not powered, why would there be a wifi signal coming out the the ULTRA if the ethernet is connected and it is connected to the internet thru the ethernet successfully? Kind of defeats the purpose of having an ethernet connection.

MilesT
Roku Guru

As stated, all recent Roku devices broadcast a WiFi (direct) signal for wireless remote, screen sharing for Android, Windows, and some also offer Airplay.

No option to turn that off. Put in a suggestion on the suggestions forum, but sadly out of luck.

Ultra should support IR remotes, so you could wrap the ultra in semitransparent metal mesh to create a Faraday cage as a workaround.  Or stick it in a different room, use a HDMI to cat 5 cable adapter to transmit the video, and use the Roku app on a Android tablet connected to Ethernet by cable (usb) with WiFi off as a workaround.

Not a Roku employee
0 Kudos
jnwf
Channel Surfer

Please see discussion on Feature request: disable wifi broadcast to reduce wifi interference

0 Kudos
AeroSpaceTech
Roku Guru

@jnwf ...............this post has not been commented on for at least 7 months. I don't think anyone who posted will be having any issues at this time. 

0 Kudos
jnwf
Channel Surfer

Recent discussion on disabling Roku player wifi @jnwf  1/21/22  'Feature request: disable wifi broadcast to reduce wifi interference'

AeroSpaceTech
Roku Guru

@jnwf  The last post was from MilesT on 10/19/21. 

0 Kudos
jnwf
Channel Surfer

ChefZ
ChefZ
Level 9

‎01-22-2022 01:57 PM
Re: Feature request: disable wifi broadcast to reduce wifi interference

The amount of wifi interference that has disappeared instantly from my 3 Roku devices in the house, which were already wrapped in faraday fabric mind you, is crazy. I should've done this a year ago.

Ethernet, IR, and IR repeaters for the win!

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@jnwf 

Certainly can't discount the farady technique, but I think if people just lowered their TX powers from their routers, this would most likely accomplish similar results.  (Router blockers and faraday cages were all the rage years ago and of course some unscrupulous people took advantage of people with some snake-oil technologies).  I kind of equate some of these meters with ghost and other apparition meters.  I just have to trust that the meter is picking up the presence of a ghost without me seeing it.

Kind of like climate change, I think much of this is a bit overblown. (I am sure it has some validity, but not enough for me to start crippling all my devices over it.)

To each their own though, I certainly won't say EMF is necessarily good for people, but in same breath can't say it is necessarily bad either.

I do wish Roku would allow the feature to again be disabled in a setting though. (I think it was really removed due to the newer remotes.)

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102