Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sobrien
Level 8

Can’t connect to wifi

I have a roku express and it worked fine in my family room. I moved it upstairs for a few days where it also worked fine. I just moved it back downstairs and now it doesn’t even recognize my WiFi. I reset my router and roku device but it still won’t work. My phone and iPad connect to my WiFi in the same room so I have no clue what the issue is. When I turn my hoptspot on it see that but not my WiFi.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Can’t connect to wifi

When you said you reset your Roku, do you mean a power reset, a network settings reset, or a system reset to default? Power cycling can work sometimes, but often you need to go into the advanced system settings and do a network reset. This deletes all stored network information and can sometimes clear a corrupted entry.

The System Reset is a last resort, which restores your Roku to its new state and you have to go through the entire setup again. Since your Express can see your phone hotspot, it's unlikely to be a hardware failure on the Roku.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Sobrien
Level 8

I did all 3 of the resets that you mentioned. After I did the system reset it still wouldn’t connect and now I can’t get past this part of the setup process.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Next step would be to connect it to your phone hotspot, complete the setup, check for any updates, and then see if your WiFi is listed. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Sobrien
Level 8

I connected it to my hotspot and completed the update and it still doesn’t detect my WiFi. Also, while sitting on my couch, not 10 feet from my roku, it said I had a very weak signal and it showed that there was only one bar of signs strength. For whatever reason, it’s seems like my router is too far away for it to pick up which is weird because it worked in this room, and upstairs, last week with no problems. I may just have to buy a new one and see it it’s better.