Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stanbecker
Level 7

Can't connect to my router

I have an old model Roku (mod. 2710x). I haven't used Roku in quite a while. The other day I tried hooking it up to my router, which is a NeartGear (CM500). The Roku picks up the router but keeps giving me an error message (14.40) after putting in my password. I know the password is correct as I just hooked up a Caption Call telephone (for hard of hearing people) and had no problems. I even went into my Router settings just to KNOW that I was using the correct password.
I tried it on an older Phillips TV and on a newer Samsung Smart TV. The Samsung is within 10 ft of the router. And of course the Samsung is hooked up to the router.
Help. Thanks
Stan

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Can't connect to my router

Thanks for the note. 

Try taking a look here for more tips about troubleshooting that network error code: https://support.roku.com/article/208755728-what-should-i-do-if-i-cannot-connect-to-my-home-network-o...

We recommend rebooting both your wireless router and your Roku device. Alternately, I'd also recommend trying to connect your device to an alternate network or mobile hotspot. If you are able to connect without issue, this usually indicates an issue with your network or password. In that case, you might also try changing your network password to see if that resolves the connection issue. 

Keep us posted with what you discover. 

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
dgrace
Level 8

It used to be true, and maybe still is, if you have special characters in your password the Roku won't like it. If your password is anything but letters and/or numbers, you may want to try changing it. 
"I might be moving to Montana soon..."
FZ
0 Kudos
stanbecker
Level 7

I disconnected and reconnected the power supply to the Roku numerous times. Also shut down the router and restarted. Still not working.
Also password is just letters and numbers.
Is it possible Roku O.S. I have is out of date? If so, how can I update it?

Not sure I want to buy a newer model, especially reading about all the problems I see on this forum.
Tks
Stan
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 15

Well, the 2710 is really an old player, so it's entirely possible it has given up. I personally don't have a problem buying a new one, and in fact just bought a Premiere several weeks ago. I haven't had a significant issue with any of mine, including my Roku 4 that my granddaughter now uses. Perhaps I've just been lucky, but I've had 6 or 7 Roku players or TVs over the years, and they've just worked. I have an old 2 XS that's even older than yours, and I retired that a couple of years ago simply because it was so slow compared to the latest models. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
ghb51
Level 8

I have a 2710 and just don't use it anymore, it's agonizingly slow and it doesn't support YouTube tv, Directv now and if I remember right HBO is no longer supported either, I doubt it will be long until all major channels drop support. I hate to sound like a shill for Roku, but you really would be better off spending $30 on an Express model, I got two and they both work fine.
0 Kudos
stanbecker
Level 7

Thanks for the advice and speedy replies.
Stan
0 Kudos