Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Racalexa

Re: Can't connect to Xfinity

Jump to solution

My Roku has been working fine with my xfinity router for the past year and half. The last month has been dreadful. Neither of my rokus in the house are connecting to the wireless internet- but other devices are connecting just fine. I have completed a connection reset and a factory reset with no luck. My router shows a broadband of 2.4 ghz. What needs to be done to get a connection?

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@Racalexa, use the Xfinity app or log into your router using the username and password on the sticker and change the wireless mode from g/n to b/g/n.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
Icetray23

Jump to solution

@renojim wrote:

@Racalexa, use the Xfinity app or log into your router using the username and password on the sticker and change the wireless mode from g/n to b/g/n.

@renojim  thank you, I was having the same issue and this fixed it!

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi,

I just got done talking to a xfinity agent. 

DISCLAIMER! This will log you out of all devices connected to wifi and you will have to longin again.

They had me go to xfinity.com/myxfi

Login to your account using your account info, then next to your network name (you probably created your own) hit the arrow next to it.

Then select see network.

Next in the right hand corner towards the top, hit edit wifi

You will see 3 differnt types of GHZ. Only need to worry about 2.4 and 5.0. Add 2.4 to the end of the network name under 2.4GHZ and 5.0 under 5.0 GHZ. Keep the both passwords the same so that way you don't get them mixed up. 

Then hit apply changes and continue and wait for them to update. This will make 2 wifi networks show up with the 2 different names you changed them to.

Then connect your roku the 2.4 wifi network. All your other devices should be fine with the 5.0GHZ but some can't run that speed.

This fixed my problem immediately. I hope this helps! otherwise use the chatbot for xfinity and just say "need to speak with agent" that way you'll get a really person to help you.

AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@frenchcarrot 

If you edit your 5ghz settings to use a channel between 36-48 or 149-161 rather than Auto, that should also help you if you are having trouble connecting a dual-band Roku device to your Xfinity connection.  If you are using a 2.4ghz only Roku device, then you will need to verify a 2.4ghz band SSID as you indicated and confirm that the Mode is set to b/g/n as indicated by @renojim .

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
Gone1

Jump to solution

I've contacted Xfinity numerous times and their customer support is useless. What it boils down to is Xfinity is blocking their customers from using their roku's because they want to force them to rent and use their Flex units and charge them.

0 Kudos
OwnerofDevices
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Gone1,

I live in a house with 2 Roku TVs and 1 Fire TV and I did not need to change anything on my Xfinity gateway in order to make my devices connect. You might want to look back and see what others did on their gateways in order to fix the problem with their devices not connecting. 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@Gone1

Thanks for the post.
If your internet service provider is Comcast, we would recommend changing your router settings for 2.4 GHz band from g/n to b/g/n, as customers have stated that this helped resolve their issue.

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
MamaCB

Jump to solution

Thank you @frenchcarrot! I followed your steps EXACTLY and was able to reconnect both Rokus. I'm about to cancel my $60 xFinity tech appointment right now!

0 Kudos
seanlevans
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I don't think you understand the issue here. Roku needs to add a web browser to your platform to make signing in to xfinity wifi easier so that we can more easily connect to the hotspot.

0 Kudos