Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
emilyf1015

Re: Can't connect to Xfinity

Jump to solution

What if I’m already connected to the xfinity on my phone? 

0 Kudos
moonflower

Jump to solution

Hey hey hey hope u get this if u haven't figured it out yet I might be a day late and a dollar short like always but I tried https://www.reddit.com/r/Roku/comments/7kpi8h/roku_issue_with_xfinity_hotspot/?utm_medium=android_ap...

0 Kudos
Faley1212
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Didn’t work for me. Direct Roku wifi doesn’t even show up on my device to connect. 

QkTreasures
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

So I'm going to try the method/work arounds that were mentioned here but I'll share what I did to make it work. So on my Android LG V60 I set up and turned on Wi-Fi hotspot sharing from under mobile hotspot settings. It says Wi-Fi sharing, share the internet from a Wi-Fi network instead of mobile data.

Then I signed into Xfinitywifi on my phone. Next I selected my WiFi network name and just logged into my T-Mobile V60 Wi-Fi hotspot with password that I selected. I did notice that for some reason that my wife's T-Mobile OnePlus 8 can't do this same thing even tho they are both on Android 10. I'm guessing it's a OnePlus issue because other people on Reddit with OP6T & 7 we're complaining about the same problem. 

However you should be able to do this with using a app such as NetShare - No Root - Tethering which basically does the same thing but gives you a time limit unless you pay $8 for the pro version. But I haven't tried and tested this method yet on my wife's phone or another phone. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=kha.prog.mikrotik

I did try to do the same with my iPhone XR work phone but it appears iPhone can't do this either. I also haven't tried to look for a iPhone app yet that works like Android basically turning your phone into a repeater or router extender. If anyone knows of a good iphone app that does the same thing please let me know.

Lastly I suppose you can use a Wi-Fi extender/repeater device such as Netgear EX6100 which I picked up at Walmart a few years ago on clearance for like $20 or less. You can also use a old router that supports bridge mode to do the same thing as a Wi-Fi extender or repeater.

So the reason I decided to do this was because we keep hitting our Xfinity 1.2 TB limit. When connecting this way thru Xfinitywifi in our house it doesn't count against our data limit which is kinda of a workaround loop hole I think. Sorry for the long post and God's Blessings.  PS: Happy New Year

0 Kudos
QkTreasures
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Please see my latest post to see what method that I used with success. 

0 Kudos
MammaBull

Jump to solution

My Roku connection dropped 3.5 days ago. I have tried a Roku reset, cable modem refresh, and xfinity hard reset, even a Roku factory reset and it still will not find the internet. It sees the WiFi, just not the internet. All other devices in the house connect to the WiFi and internet fine. Xfinity has exhausted their options. My Roku SE was a Christmas present this year and is only 5 months old. HELP

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hey @MammaBull

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community!

Could you tell us if you are getting an error code or message? Refer to this link for common Roku error codes and their recommended actions: What should I do if I cannot connect to my home network or the internet?

Furthermore, please note that Roku SE is a single-band wireless device and is only compatible with wireless b/g/n networks on the 2.4 GHz spectrum. Ensure that your router is broadcasting a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network for the device to connect to. 

Let us know how it goes.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
tdjack1
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Hello, 
I am experiencing the same issue , when I click on the xfinity app I get the message:

Sorry!

Something went wrong. Please try again later.

(error:-500)

so I called comcast and they stated it was an issue with my Roku devices.  I have 2 Roku devices and neither one of them, which are only 1 year old, work.   I had another Roku device that was extremly old and I couldnt use the xfinity app on it so I upgraded to the latest ones, this time I purchased 2 devices.

I have been a very happy customer of Roku up until now.  Not sure who to blame, xfinity or Roku.   Any suggestions on how to fix this issue?

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@tdjack1 

Comcast built the app, not Roku. It's very likely that it's an issue with the Xfinity app. Note that it still says "Beta" on the app icon, and the app name.

You could try this to clear out any glitch the app has picked up.

1. Remove the app
  2. Reboot the Roku
  3. Reinstall the app

All three steps, in that order.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
tdjack1
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Problem solved by comcast update I believe.  Comcast had an update out in my area and I dont think my router picked up the networking update.  I called comcast and the automated system had me unplug my router for 10 seconds and when it came back up I unplugged\plugged in my roku device.   When my system came back up everything was back to normal.