Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dwoom65
Level 7

Can't connect to 2.4 GHz Network

I have two streaming sticks neither of which can connect to my 2.4 GHz wireless network.  The router is not far from the sticks.  I have no problem connecting to the 5.0 GHz network.  This has been occurring since I moved.  I have the same router and ISP, so I'm guessing it's some kind of interference in the new location.  I tried using different wireless channels but that did not help.  Are there any other settings I can modify to get to connect to the 2.4 GHz network? I do have a guest and private network on the 2.4 band.  None of my other wireless devices are having any issues with this.

0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11\
RokuTannerD
Level 19

Re: Can't connect to 2.4 GHz Network

@dwoom65 Thanks for the notes. A few more questions here: 

- What model of Roku Streaming Stick are you using? (Settings>System>About) 

- Is there a reason you're trying to connect using 2.4GHz vs. 5GHz? 

- Are these networks broadcast on separately named SSIDs? 

- Have you tried changing the wireless broadcast channel on the 2.4GHz network? 

- What is the specific make and model of router that you're using? 

- Are you able to connect to the 2.4GHz network if you disable 5GHz broadcast? 

With more information, we can help take a closer look. 

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
dwoom65
Level 7

I want to connect to the 2.4 network to get the stronger signal.

Model is streaming stick 3600R

The networks have separate ID's

I tried various channels on the 2.4 Ghz

My cable modem/router is ARRIS surfboard SBG10

I cannot connect even if I disable the 5 GHz

Thanks

0 Kudos
RokuTannerD
Level 19

@dwoom65 Thanks for the details. You mentioned your device connects to your 5GHz wireless network. This typically offers improved data transmission rates for wireless devices. Are you able to stream normally when using the 5GHz network? 

- When you are unable to connect to the 2.4GHz network, do you see any error messages appear on screen? If so, what is the text of that error message?

- Have you tried changing the SSID of the 2.4GHz wireless network and/or the password to see if this resolves the issue? You might try removing any special characters, if present, and seeing if this allows you to connect. 

I would also recommend contacting your ISP and/or router manufacturer to review any security or filtering settings that may be enabled in your router for that SSID, such as MAC filtering, etc. 

Keep us posted from there! 

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
dwoom65
Level 7

I can sometimes stream at the 5GHz but I can have issues. The error I get is that the roku cannot connect to the wireless network.

I have not renamed the network or changed the password but don't know why I would have an issue now due to that versus all the time I had no problems before?

I have no security filtering or MAC filtering on my router.  Again, I'm using the same equipment. Wouldn't any filtering affect other wireless devices rather than just the Roku?

0 Kudos
RokuTannerD
Level 19

@dwoom65  Thanks for following up. In the process of troubleshooting issues, we try to provide any helpful troubleshooting steps that may help resolve the issue. A couple more questions here: 

- What specific error code do you see when this occurs? There should be a number associated with any error code that appears on screen, such as '14.40'

- Did these Roku devices used to connect to this 2.4GHz network using the same settings in the past, or are you trying to connect them to this network for the first time and encountering this issue? 

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

The only time I've had trouble connecting to my router in the 4 or so years I've had a Romu, it was fixed by restarting my router. Like you, other devices connected ok, just not my Roku.
Doug
Roku Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X | Roku Streaming Stick 3600

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, just a user like you.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution."
0 Kudos
dwoom65
Level 7

The error code I sometimes see is 014.30.  However, sometimes the 2.4 Network name does not appear at all, but the 5 network does.

These devices have worked on the 2.4 network in the past with no issues.

0 Kudos
RokuTannerD
Level 19

@dwoom65 Thanks for clarifying. A few more questions: 

- Which 2.4GHz wireless protocol is your network using (b/g/n)?

- Which wireless broadcast channel is the network broadcasting on?

- Have you tried changing both of these things to see if you are able to get connected? 

Cheers,

Tanner

0 Kudos
MNmom
Level 7

Why can’t my Roku see any WiFi except 2.4ghz now? Hulu doesn’t like it. It’s unbelievably frustrating 

0 Kudos