Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't cast to Roku Express 393OUE

I can't cast to my Roku listed. I can screen mirror from my pixel 5 but when trying to cast from YouTube the device isn't listed in available devices? When I try casting direct from my phone again the device isn't listed? I want to be able to cast Sky Go? All software is up to date. Any help would be great 

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
Streamer317
Roku Guru

Re: Can't cast to Roku Express 393OUE

There is no casting in a Roku. Casting refers to a Chromecast. If your watching a video on YouTube on your phone and then want to see that same video on your Roku you can. You need to have the YouTube channel on your Roku first. When you want to send the video from your phone to your Roku all it does is open up YouTube on your Roku. There is no casting 

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

@Skywalker13 

When you screen mirror, your original device (a Google Pixel 5 in your case) is doing the streaming, and your phone is putting the content on your TV via your Google Cast compatible device.

When you cast from a Google phone (or any Google Cast supported device), the phone is not actually doing the streaming. It is communicating with a compatible device, and instructing that device to launch the appropriate app.

For example, suppose I have a Google Pixel phone. Now, suppose I launch YouTube on that phone and start watching a video. I then decide to cast it to my TV. I click the Cast button on the YouTube app, and a list of devices appears. I pick the device and the video plays on that second device.

But here's what's actually happening. My Google Pixel communicates to the device I selected (Roku), and that device launches its YouTube app. The Pixel tells my Roku what YouTube video to play, and how far along in the video to go. My Roku then launches the YouTube app, finds the video, launches the video, then moves to the correct timestamp within the video.

Some thing the phone is actually doing the streaming, but it's not. It has handed the streaming over to the Roku device. A connection is maintained for FF and RW. But, once the Roku stars playing, I can shut my phone completely down and the video will still play on the Roku. Because it's the Roku doing the streaming, not the phone. The streaming was handed off.

So, mirroring is not the same thing as casting. Google Cast works in a different way.

That means that if there is not an app for Roku, you can't cast that particularly service to Roku. You're wanting to cast Sky Go. Is there a Sky Go app for Roku? If not, you can't cast Sky Go to Roku. If there is, you should be able to cast it.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

DBDukes

@Streamer317 

Works the same with a Chromecast device. Launch a YouTube app on your phone, then use the Cast button to send the video to Chromecast. The Chromecast is now streaming, not the phone.

You wanna test that? Turn off the phone. The stream continues on the Chromecast.

DBDukes

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
Streamer317
Roku Guru

@DBDukes  I am fully aware of how casting, mirroring and AirPlay work. I own iPhone. But there is one simply way to fix this. Don’t cast. No need to. Simply launch YouTube on your Roku and watch it the same way you do on your phone. Don’t over complicate things 🤣

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@Streamer317 

You've gone from you can't to you don't need to. Those are not the same thing. You've done this before, and still haven't learned to not do that. People don't need your permission to perform a function. Don't cut them off with "you can't" when it's that you don't and want to tell them how they should do it. People have different reasons to do things. Sometimes, it's a family situation where it's the best option under the circumstances. Sometimes, it's just that they want to. None of it needs your permission. If you can help, fine. You are capable of helping. You're also capable of giving bad information. "Can't" vs "don't need to" are not the same thing, and equating them is bad information.

You're heading down that road again. Get another persona ready, because this is rapidly heading to where the others went.

DBDukes

0 Kudos
UserOfStreamers
Roku Guru

@Skywalker13 

Roku supports several casting/mirroring protocols:

Miracast (mirroring), DIAL (casting), AirPlay2 (casting & mirroring), PlayOnRoku (casting)

Your Pixel 5 natively supports GoogleCast/Chromecast (casting & mirroring) and DIAL (casting).

Not sure how you are able to Miracast-mirror to the Roku, unless you rooted your phone or are using an Miracast-enabled app.

The YouTube/YouTube TV app supports DIAL & GoogleCast for casting.

The Sky Go app supports GoogleCast for casting.

You can cast from YT because DIAL, you cant cast from SG because no-DIAL.

For SG, your options are to mirror using Miracast (rooted/app?), or get a ChromeCast-compatible streaming device (GCCWGTV/TS4K/O4KSB/etc).