Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Can't Set Up Remote because not connected to Wifi (new residence), can't connect without remote.

Jump to solution

I've had my roku premiere for around a year, my remote broke while back, so I've been using the remote app. I recently moved, so my premiere isn't set up on the new wifi. But I have no way to connect to the wifi through the remote app, and the new universal remote can't connect to my premiere even though it's compatible.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 21

Re: Can't Set Up Remote because not connected to Wifi (new residence), can't connect without remote.

Jump to solution

Your Premiere supports IR remotes, so a universal remote with Roku codes should work. Since it's IR, make sure the remote has direct line of sight to the Roku. I've never tried using a universal remote, but with them it's often there's more than one code for a particular manufacturer, so you might check to see if there's more than one Roku code. It's not going to work right out of the box, you have to configure the code you want it to use.

If you have control of the wireless connection, you could change the SSID and password for the WiFi to match your previous network and your Roku will connect as normal. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Highlighted
Level 21

Re: Can't Set Up Remote because not connected to Wifi (new residence), can't connect without remote.

Jump to solution

Your Premiere supports IR remotes, so a universal remote with Roku codes should work. Since it's IR, make sure the remote has direct line of sight to the Roku. I've never tried using a universal remote, but with them it's often there's more than one code for a particular manufacturer, so you might check to see if there's more than one Roku code. It's not going to work right out of the box, you have to configure the code you want it to use.

If you have control of the wireless connection, you could change the SSID and password for the WiFi to match your previous network and your Roku will connect as normal. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I had attempted the multiple codes prior to posting, but I figured without wifi I wouldn't connect to it. Although, I was able to change the SSID and WiFi password & you were right! All connected now. I really appreciate your help.

0 Kudos