Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GoHawks
Streaming Star

Re: Can't Get Roku ultra to use the speed I have

Not sure why you would buy a Roku because of the "HBO Max - Roku debacle" or how its "still ongoing btw" but I'll let you explain those statements (neither of those make much sense).

And if you had read the multiple pages of the HBO discussion you'd see what I was referring to and understand that it is completely accurate and that it makes total sense. What doesn't make sense is how anyone is defending Roku after how they have acted in the last year.

But it sure is nice to know that I should just disregard the Roku's stated speed. That goes right perfectly along with their quality and actions they demonstrated with the HBO Max fiasco.

StreamerUser
Roku Guru

@GoHawks wrote:

Not sure why you would buy a Roku because of the "HBO Max - Roku debacle" or how its "still ongoing btw" but I'll let you explain those statements (neither of those make much sense).

And if you had read the multiple pages of the HBO discussion you'd see what I was referring to and understand that it is completely accurate and that it makes total sense. What doesn't make sense is how anyone is defending Roku after how they have acted in the last year.

But it sure is nice to know that I should just disregard the Roku's stated speed. That goes right perfectly along with their quality and actions they demonstrated with the HBO Max fiasco.

There are many "HBO discussions" covering all sorts of topics.  We aren't mind readers (yet), so you'll need to be specific, both about the "HBO discussion" and "how they acted in the last year".

Still isnt clear why you would buy a Roku "because of the entire HBO - Roku debacle (which is still ongoing btw)" - wouldn't logic/common sense dictate the opposite? (not buy a Roku)

Another thread would probably be better suited to such discourse (this one being related Ultra's connection speed capabilities).

0 Kudos
GoHawks
Streaming Star

Still isnt clear why you would buy a Roku "because of the entire HBO - Roku debacle (which is still ongoing btw)" - wouldn't logic/common sense dictate the opposite? (not buy a Roku)

I bought a Roku Ultra because my stick was no longer working at all with HBO after HBO changed HBO Now into HBO Max whether we liked it or not and whether they were ready to do it or not which clearly they weren't and my HBO subscription was foolishly through Roku.

0 Kudos
GoHawks
Streaming Star

37 pages of people explaining their Roku and HBO won't work.

22 pages long of people explaining their Roku and HBO won't work.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

The explanation about HBO Max is simple. HBO has terrible programmers for their apps. The problems are not confined to Roku devices, as I have major problems using it on my Shield. I've heard complaints on Fire TV devices as well. Any argument that the platform provider (Roku, Amazon or Nvidia) is responsible for the poor application is invalid. Only complaining to HBO can offer any possibility of the app being improved. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

@GoHawks wrote:
37 pages of people explaining their Roku and HBO won't work :

22 pages long of people explaining their Roku and HBO won't work :

So, if I understand this correctly (since you only provided links to threads about different HBO Max app issues), you think the HBO Max app/service doesnt work correctly on Roku devices, therefore you bought an Ultra 4800.

Again, not understanding the logic here. 

Why would you buy a device because the app/service you want to use doesnt work correctly on it?

0 Kudos

Tested my Roku Ultra in various configurations and settings. The best I can do is 91 meg on the ethernet port and 105 meg on the wifi, but more often my wifi is in the 90 meg range.

I work with networks for a living, have commercial-grade network hardware at the house with the ability to simulate and verify every imaginable network setting and wifi configuration.

The only reason for this poor wifi performance is **bleep** drivers.

No reason for this kind of performance when using a high-end, dedicated access point located 6 feet away.

And yes, I agree that all the streaming services will top out well below the 90 meg mark, however as stated, if you have a local server with 4K content, Roku is simply not the best platform to use.

OwnerofDevices
Roku Guru

What you found with your ultra is not an isolated issue with ultras. This issue is by design if you ask me. It is occurring on all Roku Devices that are wireless AC including televisions from all the different manufactures. I don't stream anything local fortunately for myself. Login to your router to see what your ultras line speed is is not 866.6 mbps more like 152mbps. WIFI bandwidth is half duplex. A lot of people that stream stuff locally have to make another purchase and connect it to their TV, like a fire box or android tv Box.   

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

I have a Ubiquiti access point, and I thought for sure it was high end enough to show a device connection speed, but I was wrong. None of my access points provide that info, other than one I installed with DD-WRT, but it's a very low end 2.4 GHz access point that probably isn't capable of over 100 Mbps anyway. All I can do is test with some fixed bitrate test videos on a server that is connected to the same switch as the Ubiquiti, which takes all the rest of my network out of the picture.

I have a number of H.265 non-HDR fixed bitrate test clips. I can't watch a 120 Mbps clip without stuttering and an occasional buffer over WiFi. Watching the same clips from a USB stick, the 120 Mbps clip plays smooth, but I begin seeing the same stuttering at 160 Mbps, 180 Mpbs stutters even more, and the 250 Mbps clip won't even load. The loading bar moves all the way across, and then stops without playing. So, 120 Mbps is about the limit of the hardware of the 4800. Lower end devices will likely max out even lower than that. So even with better WiFi drivers, it probably wouldn't make much difference. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
OwnerofDevices
Roku Guru

My router is not too high grade. It is a Verizon g3100.  

0 Kudos