Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bob_C

Can't Connect Roku Express 4K+ to WiFi

Jump to solution

My new Roku Express 4K+ finds the WiFi network but will not accept the network password. My desktop and laptop are on this network, so the password must be good. Do I need a Roku account before I can continue the setup? (The Quick Start Guide didn't mention this. I have an account now, because I couldn't post until I got one.) Will the Roku Express 4K+ work with an old HD TV? Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Bob_C

Re: Can't Connect Roku Express 4K+ to WiFi

Jump to solution

That was a good suggestion to use the hotspot on my phone. It worked when I changed its password to numbers and letters. I'll try doing that for my WiFi networks.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
Streamer317
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

https://support.roku.com/article/208754888

Be sure you are entering the password correctly for your WiFi network. Do you have separate passwords for the 2.4GHz and the 5.0GHz? 

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

You do need a Roku user account to complete the setup process, but that should have nothing to do with connecting to the network. Some Roku devices have had issues connecting to WiFi if the password uses something other than just letters and numbers, such as special characters like #, %, &, etc. 

Another oddity that sometimes works is to connect the Roku to a phone hotspot, complete the setup, then return to the home network. Doesn't make sense, but it has worked for many users. 

As to your "old" HDTV, the answer is, it depends. Some early HDTVs only supported 1080i and 480p over an HDMI connection. Roku players do not support either of those resolutions. However, the majority of even older HDTVs also support 720p, which is a supported resolution for all Roku players. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Bob_C

Jump to solution

Yes. Neither password works. Also the power button on the Roku remote doesn't work. Is the power button supposed to turn both the TV and player on and off? The blue light on the player has gone off. Maybe I have a bad player.

0 Kudos
Bob_C

Jump to solution

Thanks. My TV does support 720P.

0 Kudos
Bob_C

Jump to solution

That was a good suggestion to use the hotspot on my phone. It worked when I changed its password to numbers and letters. I'll try doing that for my WiFi networks.

0 Kudos