Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MartyPA
Streaming Star

Re: Can "Wi-Fi Direct" be turned off?

No, believing that about the sun is absurd.

0 Kudos
fred04

My Electrosmog Meter does not detect any Wi Fi signals from the sun.  When they added fluoride to the water, it was not a health issue.

Brendi

@John_Small wrote:

I'm trying to find the right Roku model for me, but I've learned that many of the remotes have direct Wi-Fi connection to the unit! I would not use this! Scientific research on radio wave radiation is concerning at best, and I'm not going to play Russian Roulette with my health just for the sake of a TV. (I don't use cellphones, Wi-Fi, cordless, etc)

So, can Wi-Fi Direct be turned off? And if it can, does this also disable the voice search?

If it can't be turned off, I'll be forced to buy a 4210 model 2, which I believe is the only non-Wi-Fi model that offers ethernet.

0 Kudos
MartyPA
Streaming Star

I bought the roku ultra and connect it through ethernet.  I also bought another roku remote on ebay, an IR remote rather than an RF remote.  Of course I lose features like voice control but that's fine with me.  Those RF remotes emit constantly.

I was worried that the Roku ultra would still emit like smart TVs do when connected with ethernet, but it doesn't.  I have an RF meter and it's all good.

Oh, I forgot to add, when setting up the roku, don't allow other devices to connect.

0 Kudos
Trishah

No, this is NOT absurd.  I can't have a cell phone near me without getting a headache.  I just upgraded from Roku2 to Roku Express and had to shut it off after 10 minutes because of the headache I got and I was 8 feet from the unit.  I have no wireless in my home because of the headaches they give me.  Some of us are just sensitive to these frequencies.  It IS NOT ABSURD.

0 Kudos
MartyPA
Streaming Star

I'm editing this comment because I read your comment wrong and was thinking that you bought the Roku ULTRA which can be connected by ethernet cord.
I won't delete my comment though in case it can help someone else.

I have a meter so I know these steps work with a Roku Ultra with ethernet port.

First of all, buy a Roku IR remote to replace the RF remote that comes with the Roku Ultra.  You lose features like Voice Search, but I don't care.
The RF remote shoots of radiation because it's constantly searching, trying to connect to the Roku, unless you take the batteries out after each use.

Once you have the new remote, reset the Roku to factory settings and when setting it up, don't set it up to connect wirelessly, choose wired connection.
Then go to Settings, System, Advanced System Settings, and check Disable Device Connect.
Also Disable Control By Mobile Apps.
nrc

Thanks for this information.  I have wired ethernet in my entertainment center so I don't want the Roku device interfering with my other WiFi traffic.  I don't care about voice features so I'll get an Ultra and use it wired with my Sofabaton U1 universal remote.

0 Kudos
kapqa12
Channel Surfer

Hello ,

thank you, i was thinking of buying a

Roku Express+ 3710RW because of possibiilty of using it with Composite Cable on older TV but after i read your comments i thought again;

would have used it with an Ethernet Adapter like those from Ugreen that let you use Ethernet Adapter and Power the Device at the same Time.

But if it is not possible to switch off the Wireless on the Device and even the remote is depending on the Wireless Signal, then this is too much of a trouble.

Maybe better then to lookout for an Roku Ultra, although all those devices are quite hard to find/buy here in Europe.

Another option would be the Fire TV Box (1st gen) as it seems those also don't have WiFi but am not sure about it and Fire Box/ Fire Cube are not sold in my country here in Europe.

0 Kudos
kapqa12
Channel Surfer

it seems this user here has found a solution on how to turn WiFi off if i am not mistaken

user "Sanjay"

https://de.ifixit.com/Antworten/Ansehen/253236/How+to+disable+WiFi+Direct

I have been having the same problem - Roku 2 is broadcasting beacons even though it is on Wired mode. I was able to fix it by doing two things:

Use Logitech Harmony remote - if you configure it for Roku, then it uses the old IR codes
    Go into the secret menu (Home 5x, FF, down, Rew, down, FF) and then select secret Wireless options, there is an option for “P2P Stop” - it tells you this disables RF remote - I did that.
    Checked Wireshark - no more beacons!

would be nice if someone could confirm that this solution works effectively also on a Roku Express+ Streaming Stick or similar.

Thank you very much.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@kapqa12 wrote:

it seems this user here has found a solution on how to turn WiFi off if i am not mistaken

user "Sanjay"

https://de.ifixit.com/Antworten/Ansehen/253236/How+to+disable+WiFi+Direct

I have been having the same problem - Roku 2 is broadcasting beacons even though it is on Wired mode. I was able to fix it by doing two things:

Use Logitech Harmony remote - if you configure it for Roku, then it uses the old IR codes
    Go into the secret menu (Home 5x, FF, down, Rew, down, FF) and then select secret Wireless options, there is an option for “P2P Stop” - it tells you this disables RF remote - I did that.
    Checked Wireshark - no more beacons!

would be nice if someone could confirm that this solution works effectively also on a Roku Express+ Streaming Stick or similar.

Thank you very much.

No Roku player works with a wired network adapter., though some Roku TVs will. There is no way to use a wired connection with any Roku player other than the Ultra. So you could use this trick with an Ultra, but that won't support your older analog TV. There's really no current streaming player that supports the old analog connections any longer. 

You are also confusing names. The Express is not a Roku Stick. The Stick is a completely different product, and you cannot disable WiFi on a Stick because they don't support an IR remote.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos