Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

Can not wifi connect after v9.4 upgrade

Jump to solution

Roku Stick + sees wifi but, will not connect after update to v9.4 on 11/11/20.  All other devices still connect to router, including 2nd Roku (v9.3).

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Can not wifi connect after v9.4 upgrade

Jump to solution

Using my phone as a hotspot works. There is a bug in 9.4 that makes Roku unable to connect to certain wireless networks. My router is a WRT1900ACS with OpenWRT on it. And it worked perfectly until now.

View solution in original post

122 Replies
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Update - Noticed later the 2nd unit I used as a successful test would not connect.  It also had updated since the first test.  Problem has spread to 3 of the 4 units I have at this location.

Highlighted
Level 7

Update to v9.4 disabled Rokus ability to connect to a second router.

Jump to solution

I have 2 Roku devices in my home. A Roku Express 3900RW and a 3930RW. Earlier this year both devices updated to v9.3. After the update my router would no longer appear in the connection list of either device. I tried everything suggested in the forums and online. Factory reset of both the Roku devices and my router, changing channels disabling the 5ghz etc. Nothing helped. Frustrated I connected a second router as an access point to my network that would just be used for Roku since the quality of the router was not as good. Not a perfect fix but I can watch TV again.

Fast forward to this week. My Livingroom Roku updates unexpectedly to 9.4 and now the second router I'm using has apparently been blacklisted... Not Happy. The other Roku device I have was still connecting fine since I had declined the update to it. I already knew what was coming. Sure enough the update became mandatory and now the second Roku device will not see EITHER of my routers now. I can see my neighbors routers just fine. Occasionally it even picks up the Wi-Fi from a car driving down the road. But both my routers are apparently on the BLACKLIST and ignored.

At this point my Curiosity and OCD was peaked. I needed to find some explanation since Roku themselves have shown they are not interested. Since my second router has DD-WRT installed I started poking around. Long story short, if I set the 2.4 antenna to B-Only It is found by the Roku device. Not entirely sure why, but it is. I now have both Roku devices connected to my second router this way.

This is really an unacceptable solution. The only excuse for this is very sloppy programming or planned obsolescence. 

I really don't want to switch. I tried using FireTV Stick but their interface is a quagmire. I hate it. Roku just works and the footprint is small but I can't bring myself to spend more money on their devices if this is the quality of their support. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 13

Re: Update to v9.4 disabled Rokus ability to connect to a second router.

Jump to solution

That's interesting, because I have my 2.4Ghz network configured for N-only, and my 5Ghz for N/AC only, and all my Roku devices (including a 2710 and 3910, which are 2.4Ghz only) detect/connect with the 2.4Ghz SSID without issue.

It suggests a bug/limitation in the build of DD-WRT you are using, or otherwise an advanced wireless setting mis-configuration issue within.

If tweaking the advanced wireless settings https://forum.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Advanced_wireless_settings doesnt work, you might consider troubleshooting with the device(s)' stock firmware.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I would believe that its a configuration issue except that this exact scenario has occurred with 2 devices on 2 routers and with 2 updates. The only thing that changes each time was an update to Roku.

FYI my primary router that worked is a Netgear Nighthawk X6S with Stock Firmware. When 9.3 dropped it was never able to connect to that router again. I dusted off my Linksys WRT 1900 AC with DD-WRT to use as an AP and it worked fine for months until 9.4 dropped and here I am again. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

I have a very similar issue listed in this thread. I am running a WRT Access Point. I have run this AP for about 3 years without issues or changes. I purchased one Roku 3920X device in September 2020.  It worked so well I purchased another Roku device, a 3930X. 

Without any network changes, our main Roku device stopped working. It was no longer on the network, nor could it connect to the hidden wireless network. The second device was still working (same hidden network), so we used it for the rest of the evening. However, it stopped connecting to the network the next day. 

No other device in the home stopped connecting to the wireless network. 
I ran two different hotspots, and the Roku device did see and connect successfully to these networks.

I have run through multiple changes to my home network, including those listed here, but I still haven't been able to get the Roku devices to "see" the wireless network. 

- Roku Devie Troubleshooting: Network reset, Factory reset, Device control off.

- Wireless network: Broadcast, Hidden/Broadcast, 2.4Mh, 5G, Single SSID, Secure/Not secure, specific channels/auto, and different power levels.

I have never seen a device not able to see a wireless network. 
I am still troubleshooting but would be very interested in any suggestions. 

Highlighted
Level 13

Jump to solution

One (modem/router/gateway side) solution/workaround thats been suggested/used with some effectiveness after past firmware upgrades (other than disabling device connect in the Roku's advanced settings) for connection issues, is to limit the channel bandwidth of the 2.4/5Ghz to 20Mhz (change from Auto to manual 20Mhz).

Regardless of if/whether that works as a temporary solution/workaround or not, you should both inform Roku:

https://support.roku.com/contactus/contact-options

Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Upgraded last night and since then have been having intermittency issues with Prime Video, Youtube, Fox News, ABC since the upgrade... Computer streams the same items fine. 

Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

As of Sat. I am 4 for 4.  The last hold out auto-updated and now will not connect.  As a last chance effort, I read a post recommending a factory Roku reset. I tried it on the unit that failed first.  The first step is setting language, the next . . . connect to internet - no surprise, fail. Even tried a factory reset on the AT&T gateway.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Same problem with me.  Roku TV can't Connect to my wireless network. Tried factory reset...pluging /unpluging...router reset...still nkt working. Tried also connecting to a different wireless  network but still does work. Any suggestions?