Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Klutz
Level 10

Re: Can not wifi connect after v9.4 upgrade

Jump to solution

Here is the Catch-22, even if you could roll back the version or Roku comes up with a software fix, how do you get either, if the Roku can not reach the internet?  aka - they may be bricked.  Hmmmm.

In my case, it sees the wifi, but will not connect. I have 2 more at another home. I hope to remember to unplug them before they are powered up.

Day 3 waiting for an answer from Roku.

0 Kudos
freebieforall
Level 8

Jump to solution

I have the exact same problem. Roku was working fine, then suddenly it stopped connecting to my wifi, and it stopped even offering my network. It did not happen immediately after the 9.4 update, but pretty soon after. I tried resetting the router, the roku, unplugging/plugging it back in, messing with wireless settings, nothing helped.

Yeah, looks like 9.4 bricked the Roku Express (3930, 3931 series)   Funnily it still sees my neighbors wifi, perhaps I should ask them if I could use their network LOL

Anybody got any response from Roku on this issue other than the useless advice of resetting stuff?

0 Kudos
Klutz
Level 10

Jump to solution

Trying the neighbors wifi sounds like a good test if they are willing.  One of the things Roku wanted to try was a different network.  Doubt it will make a difference.

0 Kudos
freebieforall
Level 8

Jump to solution

Using my phone as a hotspot works. There is a bug in 9.4 that makes Roku unable to connect to certain wireless networks. My router is a WRT1900ACS with OpenWRT on it. And it worked perfectly until now.

View solution in original post

wb2dyb
Level 9

Re: Update to v9.4 disabled Rokus ability to connect to a second router.

Jump to solution

I fiddled with this POS all day yesterday. I have narrowed the problem down a bit. I put a second older router in as a second router behind the main one, both are DD-WRT. The second one is a Linksys WRT54GT-TM. If I set for WPA2 personal or any other WPA schemes the Roku doesn't see it in a network scan. If I set it for WEP it sees it and connects just fine. If I drop security it sees it and connects just fine. Go back to WPA and the Roku doesn't even see it in a scan. So tried manually entering the SSID in the manual or hidden network selection, figuring it just doesn't see the SSID, no good, that does not work. This all started with the 9.4 update. 9.3 was bad enough, it caused network issues. Is there anybody at Roku that knows how to code this stuff????? It's a mess. Also, is there any way to prevent updates? Like I do with any other software or OS, even my iPhone. No automatic updates, they universally break what was working fine.

But for those who also lost connection try the WEP encryption. Don't leave it on since it has vulnerabilities. I suppose you could use WEP and then block all but the MAC addresses of the devices you need to connect to it.

GeorgeC

Klutz
Level 10

Jump to solution

Woot!  This worked as a temporary solution.  Thank you.

(AT&T gateway - 7550)

0 Kudos
lagaut
Level 8

Jump to solution

Tried a couple of things. 1) hotspot via cell phone works. 2) hard reset my router and then used it with open signal (router not password protected)- this also worked. But set new password for router and roku tv could not connect to router signal.

0 Kudos
Susa
Level 8

Jump to solution

Same issue on my TCL Roku TVs.  I don't have a hotspot to try with, but router reset didn't help.

0 Kudos
freebieforall
Level 8

Jump to solution

I have literally tried every possible setting on the router. Disabled 5GHz band, set the 2.4GHz band to legacy mode (b/g), forced 20MHz channels, changed channel from auto to 1, 3, 6, 11, changed from AES to TKIP, added the Roku to the MAC filter, nothing.

My Roku just won't see the network it was using for months.

This is extremely frustrating. I own tons of wireless devices (phone, computers laptops, tablets, cycling computers, scales, arduinos, smart plugs, speakers), but none of them have this issue.

lagaut
Level 8

Jump to solution

Make sure to do a Hard reset, meaning you have to reconfigure router as if it were new. 

0 Kudos