Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
alumcreeklady
Binge Watcher

Can ROKU be used with a WIRED connection? (no wifi)

Jump to solution

If there is no wi fi why does the modem need to be connected to the router? Thanks Carol

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
alumcreeklady
Binge Watcher

Re: Can ROKU be used with a WIRED connection? (no wifi)

Jump to solution
10 REPLIES 10
Michelle3
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@alumcreeklady 

The modem and router must be connected together to distribute the internet connection to your devices.  They must support WiFi on them.

~ Jordan

I’m into videotapes and old electronics stuff, including extenders, converters and analog 4:3 TV sets (which are obsolete these days), and Miss Bianca is my favorite character in Disney’s The Rescuers (1977) and its sequel, The Rescuers Down Under (1990). I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you. ~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
alumcreeklady
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I do not have wi fi only wired connections so i still need a modem and router? This is all new to me thanks for your patience.

0 Kudos
Michelle3
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@alumcreeklady My apologies for the confusion.  According to research, you would need to connect one end of one Ethernet cable into the back of the modem, then connect the other end into the WAN port on the router, then connect the router power cord into an electrical outlet, then connect the other end to the router.

~ Jordan

I’m into videotapes and old electronics stuff, including extenders, converters and analog 4:3 TV sets (which are obsolete these days), and Miss Bianca is my favorite character in Disney’s The Rescuers (1977) and its sequel, The Rescuers Down Under (1990). I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you. ~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
alumcreeklady
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I don't have any wi fi in my home because it gives me insomnia. I  can't have any wi fi   RF signals in my home. Hoping Roku Ultra can be set up without any RF signals. 

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@alumcreeklady, you need a router if you want Internet access on more than one device.  You can get one that doesn't have Wi-Fi.  Do you have Internet service now?  If so, tell us your service provider and what equipment you have.

In addition, the remote that comes with the Ultra uses RF and there have been plenty of threads here asking how to disable the Ultra's Wi-Fi with no real solution.  At the least you'd have to get a simple remote to go along with the Ultra if RF is a concern.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
alumcreeklady
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I have Spectrum internet with an ethernet connection between my desktop computer and the modem. The computer is in an upstairs bedroom.  I have Spectrum cable tv with a cable tv box that Spectrum provideddownstairs. I am going to cancel Spectum tv very soon. I assume that the cable coming to the cable tv box is internet.  I was going to ask spectrum to send me another modem that i could use at the TV. I will buy a Roku ultra and a non wi fi router per the advice i received here. Am i on track with my plan? Thanks very much for the advice! Carol

0 Kudos
alumcreeklady
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I will only be using one device the TV

0 Kudos
alumcreeklady
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I can put the remote in a metal box between uses if it gives off RF between uses. I have an RF meter and can check it.

0 Kudos
alumcreeklady
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

THANKS!!!