Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GlennDG
Level 7

Can ROKU be used with a WIRED connection? (no wifi)

Jump to solution

Hi all,

looking at getting ROKU for my house. I do not have wifi. Can ROKU be hard wired directly to my modem via the appropriate cable?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuTannerD
Level 19

Re: Can ROKU be used with a WIRED connection? (no wifi)

Jump to solution

Thanks for the note here! We currently offer one model of Roku device which offers an ethernet port for a wired internet connection—the Roku Ultra. You can check out more about this model on our website here: https://www.roku.com/products/roku-ultra

Thanks,

Tanner

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8\
RokuTannerD
Level 19

Jump to solution

Thanks for the note here! We currently offer one model of Roku device which offers an ethernet port for a wired internet connection—the Roku Ultra. You can check out more about this model on our website here: https://www.roku.com/products/roku-ultra

Thanks,

Tanner

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
GlennDG
Level 7

Jump to solution

Thanks Tanner.

Looks like the Ultra it is! The Ultra didn't show up on the Canadian version of the Roku website. Amazon.ca has it available. 

Glenn

0 Kudos
Rich_T
Level 10

Jump to solution

Roku units are Wifi only, however you can easily add a wifi hotspot/acess point to your router as a work around

0 Kudos
GlennDG
Level 7

Jump to solution

Hi Rich,

thanks for replying. I got a previous response that the ROKU Ultra can be used as a wired unit. Reviewing the specs for the Ultra, it appears that that is correct. I'm going to give it a try and see if it is.

0 Kudos
JoyceNP
Level 7

Jump to solution

Can anyone provide more details on how to hard wire the Ultra?

0 Kudos
JoyceNP
Level 7

Jump to solution

I was looking for specific guidance as to how to hard wire the coax cable in my wall to the Roku ultra. Thanks

0 Kudos
HDMIGuy
Level 11

Jump to solution

@JoyceNP wrote:

I was looking for specific guidance as to how to hard wire the coax cable in my wall to the Roku ultra. Thanks

You can not use cable coax if that is what you are referring to.  You must use an ethernet cable often referred to as a cat 5 or cat 6 cable.  The ethernet cable must be connected to a modem.

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

And the modem must be connected to a router if it doesn't already include one.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos